Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1963, many thanks 2blue4u! ;-)

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a slide and neg scanner and have started scanning some of my late parent-in-laws slides onto the computer. We came across this one, which as the image suggests, was taken some time in 1963 and somewhere Spanish speaking [I guess that's spanish??]. The assumption would be in Spain, but bearing in mind my late Pa-in-law was quite well travelled due to his involvement with the administration of British athletics, it could feasibly be any Spanish speaking nation.

I really like this as a shot, its a lovely angle, I pressume taken from either a hotel, or office window and some of those cars are just pure class :D

This is a small version, and clicking it will take you to a huuuge one ;)

The language on the sign on the right is nearly Spanigh but isn't. The c with the squiggle underneath is not used in Spanish, but the word "casa" is. I'm guessing south America, maybe Brazil?

It's difficult to make out the text on the buses but in the far left it says "..DOS UNIDOS" which might be 'estados unidos' i.e. united states (of mexico?)

I dont recognise the flag at the bottom left.

Drogadada is Portuguese? :shrug:

Some of the other words that I can make out are also in the Portuguese dictionary.

Last edited:
Lots of things pointing towards Brazil especially the language....I think John might be right and it's Sao Paulo :thinking:

EDIT: Definitely Sao Paulo, just noticed the flags in the bottom left corner, which are the flag of Sao Paulo state:

Br_SP.gif

Last edited:
*cough*

Sao Paulo. The home of the Pan American Games (athletics) in 1963.

Photo taken from the Hotel Marian Palace, 65 Av Casper Libero.

And it's Portuguese.

I thought Cuba too, because of the cars and buses.
because the cars look like they're from the 60's. however, seeing as the picture was taken in 1963, I would expect all of the cars to look like they're from the 60's :)

"a maior" in babelfish to Spanish comes out as "to maior"
Portuguese gives you "the greater"
which is interesting

unidos is "joined" and "united" depending upon the dictionary...

however, I would have said it was in europe rather than south america as a lot of the cars are European...beetles (4) and VW campervans (3)
and the tiny italian midget....
not very american from a car point of view.

Last edited:
*cough*

Sao Paulo. The home of the Pan American Games (athletics) in 1963.

Photo taken from the Hotel Marian Palace, 65 Av Casper Libero.

And it's Portuguese.

What room number :)

Full marks, that blue! :clap:

I didn't know that madam had posted this here but I remembered 'where' independently.

Englishman abroad in Brazil for the first time, I remember that my old man told me how every morning they brought him his morning coffee in a pot and a cup half full of boiling water. He assumed it was because Brazillian coffee was really strong.

On the last morning the waiter served him. Swirled the water round in the [heated] cup, flung it out on the floor and poured him his coffee! :LOL:

Sao Paulo, yes. damn, I should have got it from the flag to the right of the beardy saint, it looks just like the logo on their kit:
409.jpg

I love old photos like this - can we have some more please???

:)

I love old photos like this - can we have some more please???

:)

How many more is 'some'?

Yv has just bought herself a slide scanner ... she hasn't come down from the loft for the past three days!! :bonk:

:LOL:

can't wait to see them!

Indeed an interesting shot Yv - love the way that little bug is parked between the Kombi and the Beetle ... pull a stunt like that in downtown Hobart and they'd have your guts for garters!

As for the location, it looks the kind of place you might run into Bogie and Bacall.

Last edited:
got some dust on the sensor..lol
love those old cars, be great to see some more from the collection.

Back