weekly Sarah' 52 week challenge - Week 4 - Sweet *Added*

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so, I've been really wanting to do something like this for ages, I don't get out enough with my camera and this is an amazing opportunity.
I'm hoping to work around my job whilst attending this challenge and for that I'm going to give myself 4 jokers! - Meaning no rest! But that's what its all about! I am hoping to buy a Nikon DSLR a GOOD one! I currently use Fujifilm Finepix S200 which I understand isn't the camera for this sort of work so to speak, but I'm willing to try this challenge by all means possible - Hopefully with a good outcome - 2010 was a bad year for me, personal issues got the better of me, but I'm raging to go this year!
I would love to be part of a group in doing so and sharing and viewing other people's work!
Been thinking over this week's topic and planning a trip out soon, very soon!
I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Week 1 : Direction.
Week 2 : Fear.
Week 3 : Sigh - Missed out due to moving house.
Week 4 : Sweet.
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Also, does anybody know the limit of pictures you can submit? Is it just the one?

Looking forward to seeing your pics Sarah :)

As for a limit, I don't think there is one technically as long as its on theme.

I doubt though that its worth posting more than a couple or it'll dilute the experience and people may not want to critique / comment if there's a lot of photos.

The idea is to really make you as a tog decide on your best picture for the theme then discuss it from there, so I personally only intend to post one for each theme, though if I really really like 2 different ones then I'll post a second but make it very clear which is my preferred shot and why.

Looking forward to seeing your pics Sarah :)

I doubt though that its worth posting more than a couple or it'll dilute the experience and people may not want to critique / comment if there's a lot of photos.

The idea is to really make you as a tog decide on your best picture for the theme then discuss it from there, so I personally only intend to post one for each theme, though if I really really like 2 different ones then I'll post a second but make it very clear which is my preferred shot and why.

Thank you very much!! Its just I originally had 2 different idea's, but I'm going to take the photo's and then decide! :)

Good luck with your 52 (y) I went out yesterday specifically to capture my first weeks themed shot and really enjoyed doing it. But I wish I had of left it until today, the weather is miles better, lovely blue sky :(
good old Blighty :D

Hiya Sarah,

Good on you for taking on the Photo52 challenge for 2012.

Also, does anybody know the limit of pictures you can submit? Is it just the one?

Having completed the 2011 Photo52, I can appreciate when you have a theme where you have more than one idea for the theme.

You define your own rules and don't have to necessarily follow the example of rules SarahLee mentions in the Photo52 thread.

There were many of us last year who posted more than one photo for a theme, and even did a re-shoot of a photo (from c&c received) even when a re-shoot card had not been drawn.

What you have to remember is that this is a perfect opportunity for you to learn, so you post as you feel necessary, in order to achieve what you gain from your project.

Indeed, as long as it is on theme .... however, I have to disagree with what I have highlighted in bold above (and believe many of my team mates from 2011 will agree with me when I say) ..... fair and constructive critique will be posted for whatever and however many photos you post (well I wouldn't expect anything less from your 2012 fellow team mates). I was surprised that my project received 45,913 views and 1,558 replies to date (spanning 52 pages) :eek: and I am so appreciative to all who contributed to my learning experience by offering C&C.

Granted there will be times where you just don't have the motivation, time or inspiration for a particular theme/s, but I urge you not to give up, and if ever you get to one of those points .... let me know via PM and I will try to help encourage you through those difficult weeks.

Best of luck, I am sure you will make a huge success of your project and I will pop by to see how you are progressing and offer c&c to same.

Believe me ... at the end it is all worth it .... the sense of achievement and the knowledge and skill I have developed with my photography is priceless (and I am sure that other members who have achieved same over the years will agree).

The main thing is to enjoy! You will learn so much and form so many special friendships along the way .... all good fun!

Cheers

Dawn :)

My Photo's!
I took two And will give my reason's why.
I understand its an easy Idea but With a hectic week working this is the only spare time I had!

397895_10150461606118173_734183172_8823890_1343413958_n.jpg

I originally had a different photo in this slot however I decided I really didn't like it and much prefered this one.

402908_10150461596098173_734183172_8823847_1496147329_n.jpg

Again, Im unsure on the angle and of the "editing" not sure if its too overexposed or just too full on.

Im submitting these for my first week, more so because this is the route I take out of my town every other weekend - Its going somewhere which links in with direction!

Last edited:
This had a third photo in which I replaced the original #1 photo I posted!

Last edited:
I'm afraid #1 doesn't do anything for me (sorry Sarah) but I do like the idea behind #2. I'd even be tempted to give it some more pp'ing to match the feel to the jaunty angle. Now I've spotted it I'd also clone out that drinks can on the left hand side. Good start to your 52.

I'm afraid #1 doesn't do anything for me (sorry Sarah) but I do like the idea behind #2. I'd even be tempted to give it some more pp'ing to match the feel to the jaunty angle. Now I've spotted it I'd also clone out that drinks can on the left hand side. Good start to your 52.

Should I lighten up #1 and repost?
Yeah the drinks can..I could kick myself for not noticing that when I was actually there, Rather than posting #1 I should of replaced it with #3!
Anyways Thanks a bunch! :D

final one just pips it
dont get burn out i started my 52 last year but only got week 33 i hope i do better this year good luck and keep clicking

final one just pips it
dont get burn out i started my 52 last year but only got week 33 i hope i do better this year good luck and keep clicking

Thanks! I think actually I prefer #3 aswell looking at it!
I'm going to try my best to stick at this! :) pretty much looking forward to it!
(y)

Decided to take the original first photo from that slot and chuck in the third As I much preferred that.

I really like #1, it reminds me of the opening sequence in 'Secret Army' I really like the tones in it.

Just one thing that concerns me though if you were engrossed in what you were doing would you here a train coming? Your safety is paramount over any photograph

I much prefer the top one with the level horizon. Really nice symmetry, and if you were bored enough to play with it to mirror the right hand side, so you had big green trees and houses on both sides, it'd be awesome!

I really like #1, it reminds me of the opening sequence in 'Secret Army' I really like the tones in it.

Just one thing that concerns me though if you were engrossed in what you were doing would you here a train coming? Your safety is paramount over any photograph

Don't worry I was actually within distance of the level crossing, I would of heard them go down..also I checked the train times.. I wasn't there long :D

I much prefer the top one with the level horizon. Really nice symmetry, and if you were bored enough to play with it to mirror the right hand side, so you had big green trees and houses on both sides, it'd be awesome!

I might have a go at that! I didn't think of doing that! thanks!

2nd week's entry -FEAR.

397536_10150474063743173_734183172_8873055_1840168618_n.jpg

Just couldn't get this right - I decided to take a photo of this dead fly (Looks more like a bettle) As, a personal fear of mine, I fear death - This fly wasn't the most..fresh of fella's so he's abit dusty - I also fear insect's - This say's it for me.
Altho im really not happy with this photo it show's more than one fear In my life at this moment in time.

Last edited:
Good evening Sarah! Just found your thread. A cracking start I would say.

Direction

Has to be number 1 for me, really like the processing you have done on this one. Number 2 is good as well, an interesting angle,

Fear

This made me shudder! I don't know why though, I am not scared of them! Out of the 2 it has to be number 1, the "coldness" in the colour goes with fear very well.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your pics. (y)

No too keen on the bug shot although it well taken I just don't like bugs

Hi Sarah....sorry I've taken so long to find your thread :crying:

Direction....

I'm with Michael on this...1# for me...like simplicity of the shot....looking away in to the distance...sky is sky...can't be helped ( unless you're a whizz in pp )...yup , good shot & good start to your project (y)

Fear.....yukky things flies...can see what you were aiming for....prefer the color of 1 but more of the eye seems in focus on 2 so a bit torn :shrug: Out of curiosity what lens did you use for this & is it a heavy crop ? Only ask as they both seem a bit oof...could be the lens ? was it on a tripod ? Sorry for
all the questions ...just thought the answers might help you in the future :)

oh yes.....please rememner to update the spreadsheet if you don't mind...makes it far simpler to track who's where & done what...link is in the 1st post of the thread where the themes are posted...I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

Keep up the good work & look forward to seeing more of your project (y)

Last edited:
Fear.....yukky things flies...can see what you were aiming for....prefer the color of 1 but more of the eye seems in focus on 2 so a bit torn :shrug: Out of curiosity what lens did you use for this & is it a heavy crop ? Only ask as they both seem a bit oof...could be the lens ? was it on a tripod ? Sorry for
all the questions ...just thought the answers might help you in the future :)

oh yes.....please rememner to update the spreadsheet if you don't mind...makes it far simpler to track who's where & done what...link is in the 1st post of the thread where the themes are posted...I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you

Hey all, thank you for your replie's To answer some of your question's - first off with "directtion - The sky I completely agree on - Im a tool when it comes to pp..I haven't really had a mess on with it as of yet.
both photo's are out of focus, the first was aimed this way, the second not.
I did however forget to mention that these photo's were infact taken from my phone (HTC Wildfire S) I tried several times with my fujifilm, but I don't understand why, it was a worse focus than my phone :confused:
Not Idea I know but I did say i was going to take the pictuers any means possible within reason :)

as for the whole "Updating the spreadsheet" I think I missed something out as I have no idea what you mean by that! Sorry. Can anyone help me out with this as I am slow and:thinking: at the best of times!

Again, thanks for all your comments! Much appreciated! :)

Direction #1 for me. Love how it recedes into the distance. Just a tad anti clockwise rotation maybe??

Fear...eeewwwww....dead fly. #1 for me. Bit soft, but well placed.

Direction : A good take on the theme... I prefer the first, the angle doesn't quite work for me... I do like the processing

Fear : Of the two, the first one... the colour suits better for fear...

Hey guys sorry for not being around for week 3, I moved house sooner than thought and have been without the internet. Week 3 unfortunately has gone a miss, currently working on week 4 and will be posting soon.

I have two for sweet - The reason I decided to take these photo's were because I find Ben Shaw's Cream Soda more on the sweet tasting side - The effect's were to link in with the "classic" feel.

Given Reason why -

First one not so sure about as I didn't know whether or not the effect was tacky.

426227_10150508526278173_734183172_8982656_382564510_n.jpg

Second one cuts out more of the can

428812_10150508518783173_734183172_8982631_106553735_n.jpg

Back