Saturn

A good result with the focal length there, how far away is that then?

View attachment 40620 An obsession???

Taken bolted onto an 8" skywatcher, so EFL about 2000mm

Limited processing in windows photos, so be pleased if anyone can produce something better............

That's a nice image. The only way to improve on that is to take video rather than a still image and use software to stack all the best frames. I've only ever tried this with Jupiter and the results were much better than my still images.

Cloggy,

Interesting comment.

Can I do this with my Sony Handycam (hd) ?

I have stacking software but never used it successfully.

Thanks for feedback and ideas.

Mj

Not sure you'll be able to with that. Maybe a Web Cam or a phone help to the eyepiece. You can get a mounting kit for that.

You could connect your DSLR to a PC, use Livelier and record via screen capture software.

Hi, you can modify an Xbox 360 webcam relatively easily (And they're dirt cheap) and use that to record video. You'd then use free software such as PIPP/Autostakkert to line up all of your frames (A must if you haven't got a motor driven mount) and then stack the good frames using Registax.

There are tonnes of videos online to help you out.

Last edited:
My obsession continues.

Progress of a sort. Picture taken with EPL5 attached to an 8" Skywatcher telescope. The EPL doubled the image size. I took a .mov video for 31 seconds, loaded that into Sony Vegas Movie studio to output an .AVI. The avi file was loaded in Registax and stacked. Alas no dark files.

Its an improvement on images above, but still magnification too small The image is well cropped and loss of sharpness is evident. Have very briefly tried a webcam, but I need a filter to cut out light from Saturn.
I have a moon filter which I shall try at next clear sky.

Mj

View attachment 42182

Back