Saving for Web

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
When 'Saving for Web' there are 4 colour options.......

Uncompensated color
Standard Windows color
Standard Macintosh color
Use Document color profile

Now I know it won't be option 3 but of the others which one should be ticked?.........yesterday when saving for web I defo saw colour shift.

I think you'll find they're 'soft proofing' options. They show what you're image will look like when viewed under certain conditions. I've just tried a test saving an image under all four options and there is no difference. e.g. first one shows the image with no icc profile applied, the second one will be sRGB with a gamma of 2.2, the 3rd will be sRGB with 1.8 gamma and the final one should be no different to your original document.

HTH

Thanks gandhi.............just done the same and know difference now :ponders:

Can not think where the problem was yesterday.........defo had some colour shift.

Didn't have the ICC button checked but doesn't seem to make a noticeable diff either way.

I'm working in my monitor colour space after using Spyder2........It's a little confusing this colour space thingy at times....knowing what box should be ticked and what shouldn't.

Thanks for the links :thumb:

Not sure if this is set correctly.......

colour.jpg

I mayt be wrong here, but I think you're working space is supposed to be based on your ouput..... i.e. if you're doin prepress work it should be CMYK, for web use sRGB or if your camera outputs in AdobeRGB1998 then you should work in that, especially if you're printing your work. Reason being that Adobe RGB has a wider range of colours than srgb, which was designed for web use as monitors can only display a limited range of colours.

This is one of the aspects i find confusing.....

Norman koren does explain the whole shebang pretty well on his website, it just takes a bit of time to read through!

All confusing to me gandhi..............so which box should say what?

Thanks for taking the time to advise.

gandhi said:
or if your camera outputs in AdobeRGB1998 then you should work in that, especially if you're printing your work. Reason being that Adobe RGB has a wider range of colours than srgb, which was designed for web use as monitors can only display a limited range of colours.

I too thought that, then I read about alot of places that take photo submissions digitally request them to be in sRGB.

So looking at one of the links it seems the RGB working colour space should be set to sRGB and not Monitor RGB SPYDER??? :ponders:

Marcel said:
I too thought that, then I read about alot of places that take photo submissions digitally request them to be in sRGB.

Hmmm, Alamy I know like your submissions to be in RGB and they prefer the Adobe one, for some reason. Dunno why when CMYK has a narrower Gamut than either RGB and that's what most printing presses use. (i've also got a suspicion they ask you not include an ICC profile with your shots?????? still not figured that one!)

Confused yet P-E?

You're not the only one! It melts my brain!

Personaly, I have my monitor profiled using adobe gamma. Then I work in sRGB as that's what my camera outputs, so there's no point converting to adobe as the range of colours wont be there.

Then you have to have a profile for your printer/ink/paper combo that tells CS2 how to print. You effectively need 3 different ICC profiles for your work flow. All of them calibrated. Oh, and you can have your RAW convertor calibrated to your camera too.

HTH! ;) :stir: :D

Back