SB600's and D80's.

Edit My Images
No
Just a quick one this ....

Anyone know how yo use the SB600 flashgun wirelessly on the D80 - with the pop up flash OFF.

I can only seem to get it to work with the pop up flash up too.

Relatively new to both the flash and the D80 - so any help appreciated.

Anth.

If its anything like the D300 you will need the flash up to trigger the remote unit, but you can switch of the flash in the menu system (it still needs to be up just doesn't flash as bright) i also have a cover that fits in the flash shoe and covers the flash to stop it interfering with closeup shots.

17131913.jpg

Cheers mate - saw something in the menu system - but didn't look like i could turn it off completely.

Like the idea of the cover.

Anth.

The popup flash has to go off as it sends the pre-flashes to the remote flash. The option in the menu is to have the popup flash not add anything to the exposure. It still does the pre-flashes to the remote but won't flash to add any light to the image itself.

Cheers mate - saw something in the menu system - but didn't look like i could turn it off completely.

Like the idea of the cover.

Anth.

The part number for the cover is SG-3IR and if makes a huge difference for close-up macro shots.

I've not found the popup pre-flashes to be a problem on macros. Are you setting the popup not to add the exposure in the menu?

I've not found the popup pre-flashes to be a problem on macros. Are you setting the popup not to add the exposure in the menu?

Yes - I use the R1C1 and the Nikon manual actually states that the preflash will cause issues with exposure - hence the cover which allows IR to pass but stops normal light

Weird it doesn't in my manual. It does say the pre-flash could possibly be seen in reflections in an image but thats all.

Cheers folkies - I am presuming the setting I want is the one with the 2 dashes -- Is that the one that means it adds nothing to the exposure???

Thanks again.

Anth.

Back