Scaleber Falls

well what can i say apart from that there very good,out of the two ill say the second one is my favourite:clap:

Those are both class shots. Welder's glass 10 stop, by any chance?

Nice shots I like them both,(y) where is Scaleber falls please

I put some waterfall shots on today and they got slammed, by 2 members and good crit and help from another member, and yet yours didnt Clicky Linky wonder why that is :shrug: not comparing yours tomine but they have similar exposures, and the water has similarity's

Last edited:
Couple of good shots Lee. Good composition and tidy too. Exposure is spot on but I personally would have made them a smidge brighter,more contrasty.

Dave, if you look at the histogram for Lee's shots and yours, you will see yours is cut off on the Left hand side (shadows) this means there is no detail in the darker parts of the image and it will affect the colours too. Does that make sense?

Only reason these havent been panned is that RobertP hasnt been along yet ;) (man hates milky water and black & white)

Chocolate box tastic.
I am off to try and find moving water on Friday as I love motion blur.
You have got a good balance on these and the exposure in the foreground leads the eye into the waterfall.

I put some waterfall shots on today and they got slammed, by 2 members and good crit and help from another member, and yet yours didnt Clicky Linky wonder why that is :shrug: not comparing yours tomine but they have similar exposures, and the water has similarity's

Dave, forgive me, my comment wasn't meant to 'slam' your shots in any way. It largely, if not completely, reflected a personal prejudice of mine - I feel that these moving water shots, like sunsets, are a bit of a cliche, and they have to be really, really good to pull it off. Most aren't, and one of the problems is that with too long an exposure, moving water stops looking like water and starts looking like milk - in the case of yours rather dirty milk - not appetising. Your exposure times have also left you open to problems with movement in the trees and shrubs, and I am not comfortable with your saturation and contrast levels, which leave some very bright greens and some very dead shadows. I should have said these things in my post.

I think that these fall into the 'milk trap' too, but on balance they are perhaps more successful photographs for other reasons. Their overall balance in terms of composition and exposure possibly pips yours, particularly in my view the first, (though that view isn't shared here), but I don't think they are by any means perfect.

Having said all that, I must make a mental note never to dare to post any waterfall shots here!

Nice shots I like them both,(y) where is Scaleber falls please

Hi Dave,

Scaleber Falls is just north of Settle and is signposted. I take pictures that appeal to me and my tastes. Shots like these may be old hat, but I like em! and if you take them with a fast shutter speed, they look uninteresting. Most people you show yours too away from this forum will think they are fab!(y)

Back