Scam on ebay

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
It seem to be a lot of scam on ebay at the moment.
Earlier I searched for a sony A7 iii, there was about 7 body for sale at £450 all with different photo/description/seller. All sellers being new with 0 feedback. Most of them have been taken down now (or bought...).

Last month I have bought 6 items which have been refunded. All were cancelled immediately but:
- in one case the money transfer was cancelled before it started
- in four case also the item was cancelled instantly the money came out a few days later and I had to wait for 5 days for a refund
- in one case the money was refunded immediately, three days before it actually came out of my account.

These item were jackets (apparently not in stock in that size), van tyre (apparently with 6 weeks wait), SSD drive (apparently stollen or out of stock). The SSD being a clear scam but the rest from sellers with a lot of feedback.

It fill like ebay is a bit of a shamble at the moment.

None of that has ever happened with things I've bought which now are over 500 transactions since about 2005

Same here, never encountered anything like that, and I’ve been on eBay since 2004 with transactions now into the 1000’s.

OP must be very very unlucky, it would seem...

I've been on ebay since 2004 too and I've done a lot of buying and selling. Never have seen so many fake listing. It's not just bad luck something is going on with scamming on that platform.

I have noticed over the lock-down period, scammers are trying really hard to capture our money. I have noticed from various forums, not just photography, that these seem to have risen more and more each day, and as the shortage of certain goods due to the backlog of containers around the globe, even before the Suez mess, gets worse, some people are desperate to get that "must have" or "bargain" item, and are maybe being a bit less careful than they would normally be.
If it looks too good to be true...etc, etc.
My daughter deals with manufacturers in China, and the cost of getting a container to the UK has gone from £1500, to £7K to £8K each. She told me that they were already having supply problems due to the Covid Pandemic before the Suez crash.

I have done loads of deals over e-bay, and I think I have only had one no-show, so please remember caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware)

Funnily enough I've just come across a camera & lens combo for sale on there that's priced very low, almost in too good to be true territory. The photos look ok though and match the description. The seller is new with 0 feedback but everyone was new with 0 feedback once. I've messaged them asking a few questions about the camera and I'll see what they say. How good is eBay's buyer protection? I have bought and sold a few things on there but never had an issue so never had to use their money back guarentee or anything like that.

If I'm well protected I'm tempted to take a punt and possibly end up with a bargain

Funnily enough I've just come across a camera & lens combo for sale on there that's priced very low, almost in too good to be true territory. The photos look ok though and match the description. The seller is new with 0 feedback but everyone was new with 0 feedback once. I've messaged them asking a few questions about the camera and I'll see what they say. How good is eBay's buyer protection? I have bought and sold a few things on there but never had an issue so never had to use their money back guarentee or anything like that.

If I'm well protected I'm tempted to take a punt and possibly end up with a bargain

It's pretty good really ... pay by Paypal and don't vary an inch from the 'correct procedures', e.g. don't communicate outside of eBay.

be careful who you buy from, i buy tons on ebay for about 20 years and only 2 or 3 times ebay contacted me to say i had been refunded and the seller banned

It's pretty good really ... pay by Paypal and don't vary an inch from the 'correct procedures', e.g. don't communicate outside of eBay.

That's what I'm thinking, it's worth a punt as the risk of me losing my money as a buyer is low. It really is in too good to be true territory though which is putting me off.

It's either a scam or someone who doesn't know the value of what they have. There are a few red flags on it though so I don't know if I'm just wasting my time. The description is weird and like I say it's a new seller with 0 feedback.

That's what I'm thinking, it's worth a punt as the risk of me losing my money as a buyer is low. It really is in too good to be true territory though which is putting me off.

It's either a scam or someone who doesn't know the value of what they have. There are a few red flags on it though so I don't know if I'm just wasting my time. The description is weird and like I say it's a new seller with 0 feedback.

The 'usuals' have an outside 'contact me' mobile or email.
However if there are "a few red flags" them maybe best to avoid ... or share the link for others to take a view.

I have noticed over the lock-down period, scammers are trying really hard to capture our money. I have noticed from various forums, not just photography, that these seem to have risen more and more each day, and as the shortage of certain goods due to the backlog of containers around the globe, even before the Suez mess, gets worse, some people are desperate to get that "must have" or "bargain" item, and are maybe being a bit less careful than they would normally be.
If it looks too good to be true...etc, etc.
My daughter deals with manufacturers in China, and the cost of getting a container to the UK has gone from £1500, to £7K to £8K each. She told me that they were already having supply problems due to the Covid Pandemic before the Suez crash.

I have done loads of deals over e-bay, and I think I have only had one no-show, so please remember caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware)

Exactly what i meant. Yesterday there was 6 or 7 sony a7iii like this.
Last night they were all taken down.
This morning 2 more, don't waste your time. You will get the money back at some point but there is no point to try.

scam.jpg

Exactly what i meant. Yesterday there was 6 or 7 sony a7iii like this.
Last night they were all taken down.
This morning 2 more, don't waste your time. You will get the money back at some point but there is no point to try.

View attachment 314036

Looking at those listings the one I'm interested in is also clearly a scam

I've been using ebay since it's inception and not really had any problems.
Around 2005 I won an xbox 360 game but the seller wasn't happy that it sold at his starting price so he refunded me.
Back then there were times when there was no choice to buy from some with either zero or little feedback.
I've never bought computer memory, USB storage dongles or SD/CF cards via ebay as I've heard about people buying fakes in the past.
I've bought some camera gear via ebay but it's always been via a well know and trusted company.
I've also bought lenses via ebay and had no problems at all.
Nowadays I won't buy from anyone with zero feedback and I tend to stick with the same sellers for repeat orders.
I've noticed that scalpers / scammers with zero feedback are trying to sell Xbox Series X's for silly money.
Hopefully ebay forcing sellers to link a bank account will help reduce the scams.

I've been using ebay since it's inception and not really had any problems.
Around 2005 I won an xbox 360 game but the seller wasn't happy that it sold at his starting price so he refunded me.
Back then there were times when there was no choice to buy from some with either zero or little feedback.
I've never bought computer memory, USB storage dongles or SD/CF cards via ebay as I've heard about people buying fakes in the past.
I've bought some camera gear via ebay but it's always been via a well know and trusted company.
I've also bought lenses via ebay and had no problems at all.
Nowadays I won't buy from anyone with zero feedback and I tend to stick with the same sellers for repeat orders.
I've noticed that scalpers / scammers with zero feedback are trying to sell Xbox Series X's for silly money.
Hopefully ebay forcing sellers to link a bank account will help reduce the scams.

They are stupid to try selling at 50% of the price as it looks so suspicious... If they were selling at 90% I have more chance of falling in the trap for not checking feedback...

They are stupid to try selling at 50% of the price as it looks so suspicious... If they were selling at 90% I have more chance of falling in the trap for not checking feedback...

I totally agree, no one with half a clue is going to sell something very cheaply unless they needed the money.
I check feedback every time, ebay has been around very long time so most users should have some decent feedback and trust.

Back