scanner for MF (6x4.5 and 6x6)

Name
Chris Gallagher
Edit My Images
Yes
My little Epson Perfection 3590 is fine for scanning 35 mm negs and transparencies, but I've just bought a load of MF gear.

Anyone able to suggest from experience a good scanner for this?

My budget is £500 tops and 2nd hand is fine if it does the job.:shrug:

Coolscan 1V V 5000, don't scan medium format
You have to go up to 8000.
The Epson v700 or v750 seem like good value, and as good a flatbed as you're gonna get.
Dedicated scanners are expensive, do an ebay search for
Microtek 120tf
polaroid sprintscan 120
Coolscan 8000 or 9000
minolta scan multi or scan multi pro
microtek i900, is a flatbed but its a glassless scan
Theres a new one by microtek, dunno nothing about it but its called an M1:shrug:

that 8000 will go for 7-£800

£500 you could scan flea bay for the Microtek scanner which works really well but the software that drives it is pants (I have one) but one to consider but not so eay to find is the Epson F3200.

My mate has just got one of these for £200 and it works really well, will scan you to 5x4 as well.

I don't think you need to spend that much money tbh. Have a look at the Epson 4990, which has negative carriers to scan all MF formats, 5X4 formats and even a carrier to scan sheet film. In the opinion of a lot of pro users, the differences in scan quality between the 4990 and higher end models are so small as to be of little consequence to most users. It's also fast - which is a serious consideration if you're doing a lot of scanning.

Epson 4990

There's a 2nd hand one currently on offer on ebay....HERE

I've just ordered one of these so I'll let you know in due course.

try the Epson V750 the replacement for the 4990.

It has the facility to wet scan which will in turn produce better scans.

It compares very well to scans from the 8000 and 9000 nikons, and can do a whole lot more. price ia around £400-£500 so shop around, their are cheaper ones ie the v700, v500 etc but the v750 is the one for its wet scan abilitys.

I use one for scanning 5"x4" tranny, and 6x17 when I do shoot film.

review http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson V750/page_1.htm

Has anyone used the Epson 4490? I know t's at the budget end of the scale but there seems to be no point in spending 3-400 pounds on a scanner this early on into my MF career. I'm not expecting miracles from it and in effective it will have paid for itself in 13 rolls of film from what I'd save in getting the lab to burn it to CD.

4990 his a better dmax value (shadow detail) and scans more frames per pass than the 4490, thats about it.
I have a 4490...kind of, and a minolta scan multi, the scan multi is dedicated film only scanner with a similar dmax value to the 4990, and I cant really see a difference that matters between the scan multi and 4490.

4490 = 2 x 6x6 in one pass
4990 = 4 x 6x6 in one pass.....I think....from memory.

I'm fed up with scanners, I don't think I'll be happy till I've spent 25grand on one :bang:

well, why not spend £25,000 on buying mine then...

:LOL:

I didn't say I could afford 25G, or infact the cost of a coolscan 8000...
I'd like it, but I gots the hots for a bladd since Veronicas flaps went dickie:(

I'm fed up with scanners, I don't think I'll be happy till I've spent 25grand on one :bang:

They'd just bring out a new one the week after you bought it! :D

I don't think you need to spend that much money tbh. Have a look at the Epson 4990.....

I've just ordered one of these so I'll let you know in due course.

Update on this..

It seems the 4990 is now discontinued and virtually impossible to source anywhere, but it didn't stop Eclipse Computers taking my money and trying to get hold of one for nearly two weeks, before they gave up and gave me a refund. Anyway - the short version is a I got the replacement model, the V700 from elsewhere - ordered it yesterday from Amazon and it was delivered this morning.

The setup and install went pretty smoothly, I just have to get to grips with the software now. Been having some fun scanning old 35mm negs taken way back with a crappy point and shoot. Both these are big crops.

Yours truly at far right...

2492246410_5e7e714d11_o.jpg

And this is my Mr Tolerant "WTF are you doing with that camera?" look :D

2492246512_0ab4b817b3_o.jpg

Great scanner, I'm really looking forward to using it in earnest.

I went the same route as your goodself a few months back. The 4990 is like hens teeth, but I've been well chuffed with the V700 performance so far. It's worth spending a bit of time fiddling with your shims on the film holders to get the sharpest scans.

And it does prints, MF & 4x5's too, Weyhay!... eat my shorts Coolscan :)

Back