SCANNERS

Edit My Images
No
I want to transfer all of my old 35 mm film negatives and prints into digital format on my PC by scanning. I am looking to spend a maximum of £150.00 on the scanner and would welcome any recommendations. (I have seen very poor reviews of HP scanners)

to be honest i'd wait a while, save another 30 quid or so, and go for either a Canoscan 8800F or Epson V500. If you really must keep under 150, then I'd scour fleabay for something like a second-hand Epson 4490. Lots of people seem to buy scanners to digitise their old slide collection, then bang the scanner back on fleabay to get some money back.

Steer clear of the Maplin scanners - the quality of the output is not great, and (certainly in the case of the one I used) they don't co-exist with other USB kit very well. This manifests itself in random crashes, blue screens, and a seeming inability to produce more than a couple of images in a row without shutting down and re-booting. It really did drive me loopy, and eventually resulted in the scanner being thrown out of the window and a Canoscan being purchased.

Back