Scanning Negatives

• Thread starter slightlytriangle
  • Start date
S

slightlytriangle

I developed my first film at home today, I'm fairly pleased with it considering, but seem to be having problems scanning the negatives.

The photos are all a bit soft and weird anyway, I took them using a cheap little plastic camera that came in underwater casing just to see what it was like and because it was easy to carry around, but the problem seems to be with the scanner. The negs look clear and fairly reasonable, but they're scanning in in a rather strange way.

This is as good as this set get in terms of scanning, though this has some weird digital grain etc when viewed bigger.

2-9.jpg

But most of the photos are scanning in like this :( The first one's converted to black and white but for a start they all scan with this reddish tone, that's not too much of a problem, but they all seem to suffer from blocks of dark colour/ extreme grain and now this peculiar looking effect... I'm using an HP Scanjet G4050 and the transparent materials adapter with 35mm black and white film.

1-10.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated again please *blushes*

can you change the mode of the scanner? It should have seperate settings for colour Neg, black & white neg and positive (transparency)

The last one looks like its been scanned as a colour negative and picked up the colour of the film base.

I'm at a loss as tyo what the weird artifacts are though.

I like that last one, its a 10 pints of Stella then fall down the stairs aftermath photo..:)

:LOL:

I'll try to switch it to scan a black and white negative :) I've not seen an option before, only negative or positive/ slide etc, but there may well be something :)

If it's anything like the cheap underwater camera that I had, it's rubbish at taking pictures on land. Also it was loaded with pretty cheap 800 asa film. What scanner are you using?

I am just about ready to throw 5 scanners on to the tip. But testing the AGFA ones still look good Made for windows 98, but works OK on XP. But the film holder is laughable.

I've had better luck making a 'lightbox' out of a lamp and photographing the negatives over that, I'm thinking of investing in a proper lightbox and doing it that way, it's not ideal but I can't afford a better scanner :/

Back