Scanning Old Prints

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my girlfriend has a lot of old prints of her family which are of sentimental value to her and we wanted to frame a few, i was thinking of scanning in our home scanner and resizing them to frame but i was worried the scanning process might damage the prints as some of them are 40+ years old.

Just seeing if any of you guys could shed some light on this and if I'm just being a worry about scanning them.

A scanner unless it's autofeed doesn't do anything to old photo's. If you want to just scan prints invest in a Canon lide scanner, cheap to buy and easy to install.

I did thev same thing a few weeks ago and some are of me as a baby so are over 50 years old and they seem fine,my guess is that emulsion that has survived that long is not going to suffer from a few seconds exposure to a bright light

Thanks a lot, i'll look into those canon scanners (had a quick check and they're around £40... which is nice)

Hi, my girlfriend has a lot of old prints of her family which are of sentimental value to her and we wanted to frame a few, i was thinking of scanning in our home scanner and resizing them to frame but i was worried the scanning process might damage the prints as some of them are 40+ years old.

Just seeing if any of you guys could shed some light on this and if I'm just being a worry about scanning them.

Well I must be getting so old as I was scanning my grand parents photo, taken nearly 100 years ago..anyway it didn't ruin the print using a modern Epson scanner, but I used to scan prints on an old Epson scanner using win98 and that didn't ruin prints either....they are giving them away at boot sales but I'm not saying it's suitable for the most delicate old prints, as I don't know.

Back