Scanning onto iPad Pro?

Name
Lew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, so I'm completely new to film photography.
I've just bought a RZ67 and received today and can already tell by the one outing I'm going to love it..

I was looking at scanning my own negatives to save money in the long run but I only have a iPad Pro as I've not long sold my MacBook.(unfortunately didn't know I was going to get a film camera then. And also this is my only camera so can't scanfrom another camera)

is there any way of scanning the negatives myself onto the iPad? I know the chances are it's unlikely but hoping someone will have an idea.
Thanks

I've just bought a RZ67 and received today and can already tell by the one outing I'm going to love it..

I was looking at scanning my own negatives to save money in the long run but I only have a iPad Pro as I've not long sold my MacBook.(unfortunately didn't know I was going to get a film camera then. And also this is my only camera so can't scanfrom another camera)

is there any way of scanning the negatives myself onto the iPad? I know the chances are it's unlikely but hoping someone will have an idea.
Thanks
How would you have scanned them onto the MacBook? Implies you have some other devices?

I think the negative size and the incredible quality of the lenses of the system you've just bought into is such that your investment really, really deserves the best you can afford in terms of scanning to really show you what that Mamiya is capable of. Why not just get a professional to do your scans? A well executed Noritsu scan of a 6x7 negative can be a thing of wonder.

Lacking that, you might look for an Epson v550 flatbed scanner. I've seen them going for ~150 quid on gumtree. A V550 scan of a well exposed/developed 6x7 negative will make your jaw drop.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the negative size and the incredible quality of the lenses of the system you've just bought into is such that your investment really, really deserves the best you can afford in terms of scanning to really show you what that Mamiya is capable of. Why not just get a professional to do your scan? A well executed Noritsu scan of a 6x7 negative can be a thing of wonder.

Lacking that, you might look for an Epson v550 flatbed scanner. I've seen them going for ~150 quid on gumtree. A V550 scan of a well exposed/developed 6x7 negative will make your jaw drop.

I was looking at the v600 but don't think I can scan from that onto the iPad can I? If not I'll just get them scanned from digital lab. It's not a problem just for long term would have worked out cheaper

I was looking at buying a scanner but don't seem you can for the iPad?

No, I think you cannot connect an external scanner to the iPad. Apart from commercial scans, already suggested, the only feasible system would be ’scanning’ the negatives with a digital camera

Filmdev do development and medium sized scans for £5, usually takes 4 or 5 days from posting to them sending your download, other developers are available :) .

I was looking at the v600 but don't think I can scan from that onto the iPad can I? If not I'll just get them scanned from digital lab. It's not a problem just for long term would have worked out cheaper

Possibly cheaper on the wallet to scan yourself, but that savings will likely cost you elsewhere (e.g., time, quality, etc.).

Last edited:

Thanks

You can't currently connect a scanner to an iPad Pro but who knows what iPadOS15 will bring when it's announced in a few weeks? I use an iPad Pro as my only computer too and it is something Apple need to address. As others have said, FilmDev do developing and scanning for a reasonable price, and you can request the files to be sent as a TIFF if you'd like to do some extensive editing on them. They send the files via email so you get them within a few days and you'd have no problem importing those files to an iPad Pro

You can't currently connect a scanner to an iPad Pro but who knows what iPadOS15 will bring when it's announced in a few weeks? I use an iPad Pro as my only computer too and it is something Apple need to address. As others have said, FilmDev do developing and scanning for a reasonable price, and you can request the files to be sent as a TIFF if you'd like to do some extensive editing on them. They send the files via email so you get them within a few days and you'd have no problem importing those files to an iPad Pro

cheers mate, have you had any scans from them before to know how good they are?

I can scan from my Canon printer/scanner to my iphone using the Canon app, maybe there is Canon scanner that does the job you need which is compatible .

If it was scanning prints, then no problem, but I don't think many would scan a negative without jury rigging a light source, a lightbox or EL sheet.

Last edited:
What you could try is to fit a close up lens to the iPad, place the negative in front of a light source and just use the ordinary camera app to make the copy. The basic problem will be holding the iPad steady but it's a starting point that will only cost a few pounds. The lens might turn out to be useful for other jobs as well! :naughty:

iPad in hand book TZ70 P1030653.JPG

I would definitely advise using a professional development/scanning service to begin with as you really want to get the best results from your first few films to avoid any disappointment. You can always go on to dev and scan your own later, it's what I did.

I would definitely advise using a professional development/scanning service to begin with as you really want to get the best results from your first few films to avoid any disappointment. You can always go on to dev and scan your own later, it's what I did.
Yeah I think this is what I'll do for the best results! Thanks everyone

Maybe get a dirt cheap old laptop to connect a v500 and save to cloud. Then use the iPad for any further editing

cheers mate, have you had any scans from them before to know how good they are?
I got rid of my film camera about a year ago but I always used them and I was very happy with the scans, they're reasonably priced and the turnaround is quick. I liked that they send you a WeTransfer link to download your files as soon as they're ready. They also post your negatives back to you

Not sure whether they still do this but on my first order they send you the download and then call you for your payment details.
I've used them for a few years now and they have been excellent, if you ever have any problems or have questions they're always happy to talk on the phone.

Back