Scans of old railway locomotive slides

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Being off work sick since before Christmas with no prospect of return until at least April and now confined to bed I needed something to do to help pass the time - I know, I'll rescan and process the slides I've got from the 1970s and 1980s. I first scanned the slides using an Epson V300 but was never really happy with the quality so bought a Plustek 7400 which was much better: could have been something to do with the majority of the slides being Kodachrome.

Hope you enjoy!

Isle of Man Steam Railway 2-4-0T No 11 Maitland at Douglas in August 1982
11.jpg

Isle of Man Steam Railway 2-4-0T No 12 Hutchinson at Port Erin in August 1982
12.jpg

Ex-LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0 No 4027 at The Midland Railway Centre, Butterley
4027.jpg

Ex-LMS Black 5 No 45428 Eric Treacy at Grosmont Station, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
5428.jpg

Ex-LNER Class A4 No 4468 Mallard on display at York Station on 12 June 1977
4468.jpg

BR 4MT 2-6-4T 80135 waiting to enter Grosmont tunnel, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
80135.jpg

Sorry to read you've not been well. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Excellent pictures. A pleasure to see them.

How delightful to see these great machines in all their glory. Hope you feel better soon. I have severe back problems and sometimes have to stay bedridden for weeks, its no fun, unless you have loads of wonderful images to scan. I really enjoyed these, Thank you.

They have scanned really well, nice job, thanks for sharing, hope you get better soon.

Thanks to those who posted for their kind wishes and comments - much appreciated (y)

If anyone wants to see a scan of their own 35mm slides with this scanner before buying one I'd be happy to scan one or two and supply as TIFFs, just PM me.

Can you reveal some of your scanner settings as I am wanting to scan some of my own railway slides.Yours look excellent.Thanks.(y)

very sorry to hear of your 'confinement to bed'

best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to work...(y)

perhaps you can do me a favour.?...help pass the time, and a wee bit of cash too..:D

i have 46 Kodachrome slides from the 60/70s in Vancouver

not worth buying a scanner just for them - no time to scan my recent film stuff anyway.:LOL:

if you're interested PM me a quote [i insist] and your address

thanks........no problem if you're not inclined ....(y)..john

Thanks to all for their interest and kind words, both are hugely appreciated.

Apologies for the length of time I've taken to respond: the hard disk in my laptop died and it took me two days to get hold of a replacement and get it all back to working condition again. Fortunately all my data is stored on my desktop, accessed over the network and backed up on two separate systems with another copy on an old hard disk in an external enclosure so that I can transport it around as needed. Call me paranoid but having heard so many horror stories about people losing everything through only having the one copy, I don't want to find myself in that particular hell.

Also, I've been back to Bedford Hospital for a series of follow-up tests and saw the Cardiologist for the results on Tuesday: the blood clot in my heart has gone, the valve is working properly again and my heartbeat is back in sinus rhythm and down to 70 from 140 (and rising). It doesn't get much better than that, especially as my wife told me on the way home that the Consultant had warned her (out of my hearing) that my life expectancy was measurable in hours (damn glad I didn’t know about that!) :D

Marac
I too suffer from back pain (fractured first lumbar vertebra in a fall) so sympathise with you although I appreciate that there are many causes of back pain. The things I've found which have helped me are:
Aspirin - now totally out of the question as I'm likely to be on Warfarin long term, but Paracetamol and Co-Codamol work nearly as well.
Sodium Diclofenac - prescription only but Potassium Diclofenac is available over the counter at Pharmacies, both are anti-inflammatories
TENS machine - has been particularly helpful with Sciatica
Heat - use a wheat filled pad, microwaved for a few minutes.
Obviously I'm in no way medically qualified and don't know your circumstances but offer these comments in the hope that maybe something you haven’t already tried might be worth investigating and might help.

asdf205
I’ve still got a huge pile to go through which will have to wait until I can sit at my desktop again as I don’t feel happy with the edits produced on my laptop. As I update things they will be posted on my website – see the link below, in my signature. In the meantime just a couple of slightly more recent locos to whet appetites:

Class 42 Warship D821 Greyhound at Pickering on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, probably sometime in the early 1980s
D821.jpg

Class 35 Hymek D7029 at Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on 23 July 1985
D7029.jpg

kestral
The scans were double passes made on a Plustek 7400 using the bundled Silverfast software set at:
Scan Type: 48 -> 24 bit colour
Filter: None
Image Type: Standard
Output resolution: 3600 DPI
The resulting files were saved as TIFFs and processed in Photoshop Elements 9 to clean up the many dust spots, hairs etc as well as process the pictures in the same way that I would now do for a digital shot.

Yardbent
As a one-off I'd be happy to help by scanning your slides as long as you would be happy to receive the scans as large TIFFs (about 5119 x 3495 and 25mb each) on a CD or DVD, depending on size with no processing work done. Given that I only posted to share some pictures I was pleased with I don't think I can use it as an opportunity to make money so I'd be happy if you would make what you think is a suitable donation to The British Heart Foundation, having seen the results. If you want to go ahead please PM me to make the arrangements.

Oh wow, the first two bring back childhood memories as I was brought up in the Isle of Man and held a "season" ticket for both the steam trains and electric tam .....was on and off them all the time with my friends throughout the summer hols and weekends.
Beautiful times not so long back when it was possible to go off as a youngster from morning until dusk without fears.
Regularly used to get soot in my eyes ....didn't stop me travelling with my head out of the carriage window though...The thrill was ace!

Really good NEWS from the Hospital ......wow, what a shock though - esp for your wife

having read ''I’ve still got a huge pile to go through'', and your present situation - i feel I'm imposing far too much...so will pass..

Thanks for your very kind offer...:D

get well [better] asap

Back