Schitt Vali 3

Name
Ashish Tamhane
Edit My Images
Yes
So I recently got into the audiophile world with a iBasso DC04 Pro DAC. After hearing it for a couple of months got hold of this Schitt Vali 3 amp. Sounds great and looks very cool on the desk.

_ADT3602-2.jpg

good for you
big fan of IFI myself
got a zen dac sig and a zen can sig driving my cans

What's the valve in that unfortunately named little amp? Is it a small pentode or a twin triode? I presume the valve is for the preamp, rather than power.

What's the valve in that unfortunately named little amp? Is it a small pentode or a twin triode? I presume the valve is for the preamp, rather than power.

To answer the question properly...

" Vali 3 ships with a 6N3P tube standard. Stick with that for great stock sound, or find the perfect tube for your needs with tons of interesting options, including 5670, 2C51, ECC42 and CV4013. Got a big wallet? Heck, it will accept the legendary WE396A!"

So, seems to be a twin triode.

i just bought hifiman arya
very good

I am looking to get the HiFiMan Sundaras next. This AMP was to set a good stage for its entry.

It is a dual triode. I have need to check on this as I have just started out on the audiophile journey.

are you using it as a pre-amp with some active speakers?

Currently with a Rode NTH 100 headphones.

Agreed. I have the Loki tone control.

That’s on my next Schitt list.

Not a big fan of the sundara
Ananda is way better
also does your headphone amp support balanced output RCA or 4,4mm as that is where it is at now with headphones

Not a big fan of the sundara
Ananda is way better
also does your headphone amp support balanced output RCA or 4,4mm as that is where it is at now with headphones
No. Unfortunately it does not have support for this. I would have liked to have this but I guess that's a sacrifice that they had to do for the price.

Which model of Ananda are you saying about?

HIFIMAN Sundara Stealth edition and shame on the non balanced amp, to be honest the model you have wouldn't have been on my list
I see quite a few posts on fifi FB forums where people buy these/these and soon run up among the shortcomings and get sucked in by old valve tech
you would have been much better off with say an IFI ZEN DAC V2 , full built in balanced headphone amp with RCA and balanced outputs with fixed or variable outputs and a top spec DAC that will do all up to DSD.

also defo not a fan of an equaliser if you need to make any adjustements do them with a sofware digital equaliser

Last edited:
HIFIMAN Sundara Stealth edition and shame on the non balanced amp, to be honest the model you have wouldn't have been on my list
Yeah well that’s ok. I wanted to get a feel of the tube sound. Can always get a solid state amp later on. And that glowing tube is a part of the experience.

also defo not a fan of an equaliser if you need to make any adjustements do them with a sofware digital equaliser

Again the physical knobs are part of the experience. It’s like shooting with an old lens that has a character.

Yeah well that’s ok. I wanted to get a feel of the tube sound. Can always get a solid state amp later on. And that glowing tube is a part of the experience.
And by the way, unless you have very high end equipment throughout, and golden ears, you won't hear the difference.

There is more b******t in hifi than there is even in cameras.

And by the way, unless you have very high end equipment throughout, and golden ears, you won't hear the difference.

True. On the other hand a tube which glows on your desk is pretty satisfying to watch after a long day at work.

I think I better get that Loki soon.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more. But each to their own.

its much cleaner to make the adjustments in the digital world as it literally is just software. the correct output then to the dac.
to output a bad signal to an amp and then make the change in an analog pot will degrade the signal there is nothing to disagree about

not true as a long time high end headphone listener most of the crap is at the low end of the scale what in the trade we call chi-fi I am not saying the vali is but all i am saying is it is a niche product that doesnt seem to have a lot going for it for its pricepoint.

Again the physical knobs are part of the experience. It’s like shooting with an old lens that has a character.
if thats what you want to call it fine but experience simply means every song/album you play you will just knob twiddle all day
better to tune a software signature in the digital world for a certain setup and just have it done correctly.

not true as a long time high end headphone listener most of the crap is at the low end of the scale what in the trade we call chi-fi I am not saying the vali is but all i am saying is it is a niche product that doesnt seem to have a lot going for it for its pricepoint.
What’s the best option then if you want to enter the world of tube amps?

if thats what you want to call it fine but experience simply means every song/album you play you will just knob twiddle all day
better to tune a software signature in the digital world for a certain setup and just have it done correctly.
Exactly.

What’s the best option then if you want to enter the world of tube amps?

Exactly.

its just down to a personal thing , i am not a tube/valve person simply as i find the sound to soft and prefer faster dynamics and accuracy
my main point with your amp is it is very limited in going forward and by already looking at an equalizer function makes me wonder if you are not quite satisfied with the sound signature for the outset which is just not a great start. Also i looked at your headphones and again very entry level for an audiopihile thing.
bearing in mind you moved from the ibasso DC04 I feel the amp you have is a step backwards , also which DAC are you using with the Vali, what software are you using?

I genuinely feel something like the ZEN DAC V2 is a much better place to start your desktop jounrney

plug it into your PC with a USB cable connect your headphones and just enjoy

Last edited:
its just down to a personal thing , i am not a tube/valve person
Thats the thing. I wanted to try out the tube sound and this amp is a good start.

already looking at an equalizer function makes me wonder if you are not quite satisfied with the sound signature for the outset which is just not a great start. Also i looked at your headphones and again very entry level for an audiopihile thing.
bearing in mind you moved from the ibasso DC04 I feel the amp you have is a step backwards , also which DAC are you using with the Vali, what software are you using?
The Eq I am looking for fine tuning each song. Nothing wrong in that. It is an entry level setup as I have just entered the world of audiophile.

I am using the iBasso DC04 DAC with the Vali. With software I assume you mean to say the source? Its Apple Music.

3.5mm to RCA

yeah I get that but the output from the ibasso is a headphone output not a line output?
they are two very different things.

you just can't do that the impedance and sound curve will be totally wrong also the voltage output needs to be solid at 2v for RCA line in.

look up line output vs headphone output its all about driving load, line out is designed to not drive a load, headphone outputs are?
it will sound very wrong.

yeah I get that but the output from the ibasso is a headphone output not a line output?
they are two very different things.
No it’s a portable DAC not a desktop.

I will later on maybe get a desktop DAC but for now have this portable one.

look up line output vs headphone output its all about driving load, line out is designed to not drive a load, headphone outputs are?
it will sound very wrong.
Will take a look at this.
Also i looked at your headphones and again very entry level for an audiopihile thing.

I got them after reading a review at https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/rode-nth-100

up to a headphone out is considered a very hot signal and could in some cases damage the amps line in
i think i will just leave it there.

up to a headphone out is considered a very hot signal and could in some cases damage the amps line in
i think i will just leave it there.
You mean to say that the 3.5mm to RCA out can damage the amp?

Back