School Photography

Same old arguments, but it is true. Most people will take grade C or D for free rather than pay for grade A or B, especially in these times of hardship.

That said, if you target your audience accordingly, you will find "Mums with money" as they love their children, and I doubt that any of them could take a photo suitable for that 20 x 30 canvass they want for the wall...

Digital has made things easier, but as they always say, you can't polish a turd, and a poor picture is always a poor picture (unless it's free)...

Steve

:bat: No serious. Leigh what do you think it's like? I know what I thought and it is nothing like what I remembered when I were a nipper....

Thats because you're mad, and even scared Edinburgh Gary with your timetable :LOL:

:bat: No serious. Leigh what do you think it's like? I know what I thought and it is nothing like what I remembered when I were a nipper....

i think i would rather try nailing blancmange to the ceiling for a living than take on what you do Daryl.

I didn't want to do it..... I only got into photography for women.... meeting seeing and shooting...

My plan all went wrong........ Had to give up weddings and other work as the school stuff took off big time......

I don't even have kids or like them..... much. :shrug:

But there is a lot of money in schools if done right. It pays the bills and more... so soon i can get back to a studio and do commercial work.....

Last edited:
..... I only got into photography for women.... meeting seeing and shooting...

My plan all went wrong........ Had to give up weddings......

Well if you will keep trying to tap off with the bride and bridesmaids.......

:LOL:

Kipper? good to see you again.

I have been under cover on Mums.net... and guess what? whether it be Schools are studio portraits thaey think WE, as photographers are taking the Micheal.

Why? They think everything is too expensive. 10x8 for £10...... OUTRAGE!!!!!!

Now put quality aside and the quality of kit you use. Take that as read you provide the best.

Joe Public do not care. Because they look at the piece of paper in their hand and compare it to taking their own photo to ASDA or TESCO for 50p.

I got hammered when trying to explain. Training/equipement/fuel/pro lab costs and that oil prices will make everything more expensive this year coming.

They don't care. not interested. And before some tog says 'We need to educate them!'

Good luck on that one...... you are running up hill like an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping.

It's the big Superstores that are killing the business like they do to all others thaey undercut.

Daryl, I located and read that thread on mumsnet. KILL. ME. NOW. Seriously, the general consensus was photography is not worth the money and she should find a friend who has a good camera. Seriously depressing reading.

H x

That's ridiculous. *whilst reading through my phone contacts looking for a monkey with a spanner,after all,who needs a mechanic*

Crazy people.....

Here's one...

cluckyduck Thu 01-Jul-10 14:36:21
I always buy one, scan it in to my pc then order extra copies from Truprint or similar [tightwad emoticon!]

And another....

HecateQueenOfWitches Sun 30-Jan-11 14:18:04
Yes. They are ridiculously expensive for what are, in my experience, pretty crap photos.

One year, my (handsome!) eldest looked just like shrek.

Another time, my youngest was clearly forced to smile and looked for all the world like he was sitting on nails.

I buy one photo and scan it and email it to everyone. *******s to paying £30 or more for a set.

those are just the nice ones.

I've just had a though.......

If the Shrek part is a result of an illict fling with Roonie then the photo could be worth a fortune! :LOL:

Here's one...

I always buy one, scan it in to my pc then order extra copies from Truprint or similar [tightwad emoticon!]

And another....

Yes. They are ridiculously expensive for what are, in my experience, pretty crap photos.

Another time, my youngest was clearly forced to smile and looked for all the world like he was sitting on nails.

I buy one photo and scan it and email it to everyone. *******s to paying £30 or more for a set.

Oh I think I was looking at a different thread. The one I was reading was in Feb 11 I think.
Can u post (or PM) the link??
I never really been on mumsnet before, but from the look of it I don't want to. Netmums seems a much nicer set of people if you are looking for somewhere to advertise/network with parents.

H x

Has anybody informed this lady that she's breached the copyright on them images she's scanning?

A blatant admittance of disregard for the law, on a public forum, if I was involved in that "debate" I'd probably get wound up and go after her personal details and report it.

Silly silly people

Here's one...

And another....

Seriously depressing reading there Daryl, unfortunately these mums are pretty much representative of the population. Poor show.

Rich

Thats nothing Dan. A friend who is an old style photographer used to SOR ( Sale or Return)

And he used to get packs returned opened and scanned. they did not even bother to wrap the prints back as they were.

Pfffftt....and they're claiming that photographers are robbing bar stewards?

Don't think so pal.

:bang:

Smoot said:
Seriously depressing reading there Daryl, unfortunately these mums are pretty much representative of the population. Poor show.

Rich

Unfortunately true. Thick, ignorant, arrogant, tightarsed *****s.

Even brides are asking for special deals and discounts

Sometime I think we live in the generation of "want everything for free". then I remember that as a child it was already like that. My father is an artist (painter, all income in the family came through his art and he has put through university his two daughters) so I have seen from an early age how this attitude has always been around, the one of why should I paid £1000 for some painting when I can get the catalogue for £10 or even free and frame it's contents. They just don't grasp the value of paying for quality, both on artistic and on a craft/technique level.
Truth is, these people would never have paid the £1000 per painting or the £10 per 8"x10", so as it has been mentioned before, we just need to find the people who will.
Now, that being said, I also have seen some school photos that are ridiculously bad, so I get some mothers being not that happy to spend some money in them.

Digital has made things easier, but as they always say, you can't polish a turd,

The Discovery channel`s "Mythbusters" have busted this claim and polished a turd to an fine lustre :LOL:

Oh I think I was looking at a different thread. The one I was reading was in Feb 11 I think.
Can u post (or PM) the link??
I never really been on mumsnet before, but from the look of it I don't want to. Netmums seems a much nicer set of people if you are looking for somewhere to advertise/network with parents.

H x

google for "eldest looked just like shrek" (with the quote marks) :D

product of the mum's fling with a certain footballer, maybe?

this one's hilarious (well, either laugh or cry...)

I usually purchase the 8x10 copy, then scan it and reprint through an online printing company, alongside a load of my own personal photos. That makes it affordable for me to give grandparents copies.

I am happy to pay the £10 for the initial photograph as I assume we are also paying for the photographer's time and for copyright (or at least right to display/reproduce), but I balk at buying additional copies for £8 each!

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. *whilst reading through my phone contacts looking for a monkey with a spanner,after all,who needs a mechanic*

Crazy people.....

Think of it more along the lines of the last time you decorated your house. Did you pay for a pro decorator/designer or did you go to B&Q?

I usually do buy my son's school photos as they have been quite good in the past. Last year however I didn't buy it because it was just outright terrible and not worth the money they wanted. You can't polish a turd no matter how much you charge people and tell them it's artsy.

I know for some of you it's your livelyhood and it's understandable why you're upset. But just because a person charges for a service does not mean they're any good at it. For me that's the point of it, all these people complaining about the prices are probably fed the same thing year after year by a poor photographer. If a photo is worth the money then I will pay for it, but not just because it was taken by a "pro".

I have to confess that whilst at nursery school I did scan a photo to save me buying it. But, the misses had bought about 4 other sets from the same tog, and never went for the budget pack, so don't feel guilty.

TBH I was quite please with myself as it was only a small ish proof, but came with two identical photos on the one sheet. To prevent people scanning it, it had been rubber stamped with the togs details. Of course because they were one above the other on the paper I scanned the top of one and the bottom of the other and then joined the 2 scans. I thought I was very clever at the time! These days I don't bother with the school photos, I just take my own, although that was fuelled by the fact they the photos they took were unter carp!

Just got my standard tempest school pic - the shampoo shot (head & shoulders) but had a full year shot too, 200 kids in one shot, same as the old ones years ago that we had for class size - but 200 not 20

Scott & Lawrie, what was the style? Was it the same ol Traditional head and shoulders shot?

Yep, but I don't mind the traditional shots as long as they're good. Last year, the only one I haven't bought so far, my son had a very forced smile which showed his 3 missing teeth and as such looked awful. My son's usually very good with directions and it wouldn't have taken much to simply say "Can you give me a smile with your mouth closed?". He was also sat quite high in the frame, almost like a much shorter kid was before him and the tog never readjusted the chair/camera. Even my wife who mostly looks at the subject of the photo rather than the technical aspects agreed that it wasn't worth the money they wanted.

Back