Scirocco

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been almost 30 years since I was behind the wheel of the Mk1 Scirocco. Fantastic car for it's time.

This is the latest. Taken on Black Rock sands near Porthmadog.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Nice clean car there :)

Nicely captured, I like the B&W treatment, car looks suitably moody and aggressive. (y)

Just to be really picky, a plain black number plate would have looked better, the white blur effect attracts the eye too much.

Very nice shots of a nice car. Love the texture of the sand, a good choice to shoot it at that location. Wicked reflection on the door in the second shot too.

Nice clean car there :)

Nicely captured, I like the B&W treatment, car looks suitably moody and aggressive. (y)

Just to be really picky, a plain black number plate would have looked better, the white blur effect attracts the eye too much.
+1 and would look at removing the tax disc holder. Nice work.(y)

Nice! I have to agree with the comments about the front plate and tax disk though. Still, the first shot really shows the car off well.

The rear of the car seems a little dark on my screen, but it could be my setup though

Poor composition with these, the car shouldn't be dead centre of the frame.

As most automotive shots I comment on the first one REALLY needs a circular polariser to get rid of the relfections on the windscreen, would make a massive difference to the shot.

Poor composition with these, the car shouldn't be dead centre of the frame.

is that your rule or a general one :LOL: , anyway , like the shots OP , did you shoot in B&W or convert from colour ? :)

I think the 'poor composition' comment is quite harsh - the low angle and positioning looks very pleasing. Perhaps it does go against some brochure car shooting rule although the car brochures I have seen most are not central in the frame...............?

Fair comments on plate and tax disk. What's going on with the double edge line on the skyline in the 1st?

#2 my pick although perhaps a degree or so CW rotation?

I'll take all the comments on board thanks.

The original was in colour but I thought it looked better in B&W.

The location is only 10 miles from where I live so I'm sure I'll get another opportunity for some improvements.

Never thought about the tax disc:shake:

Like both, the B&W tonal range is very good and the seperation from the background, especially the first shot, is good to isolate the car.

Not massively bothered about reflection on the windscreen but I would say to take some water to the tyres to get rid of the sand... would make the car look a bit fresher and newer.

Compositionally the second shot needs more room for the car to breath and although there's no textbook way to do this, personally I';d do it by having more room all round and having the car biased to the left of the frame so the nose is looking into the distance.

Ugly car mind, but then again I think Nissan Sunny Pulsar's are nice ;)

What reflections on the windscreen?
The reflection of the sky. Here's an example of the difference a circular polariser makes to a shot (y).

ExampleofCircularPolariser.jpg

See what I mean, there's no specific reflection of anything in particular but the sky causes a kind of misty look on the window and it doesn't work. Go pick up any car mag and have a flick through. It's easily one of the most important bits of kit to use.

is that your rule or a general one :LOL: , anyway , like the shots OP , did you shoot in B&W or convert from colour ? :)
It's a general rule, sometimes it's a rule that can be ignored but thats usually from a head on shot to even up the frame. It doesn't work when the car is at an angle.

I think the 'poor composition' comment is quite harsh - the low angle and positioning looks very pleasing. Perhaps it does go against some brochure car shooting rule although the car brochures I have seen most are not central in the frame...............?
Harsh? really? I apologise to the OP if it's harsh. Not really sure how I'm meant to point out the composition is poor without actually saying it :shrug:

So you don't see the reflections then? Look at my reply further up (y)

Not massively bothered about reflection on the windscreen but I would say to take some water to the tyres to get rid of the sand... would make the car look a bit fresher and newer.

Compositionally the second shot needs more room for the car to breath and although there's no textbook way to do this, personally I';d do it by having more room all round and having the car biased to the left of the frame so the nose is looking into the distance.

Ugly car mind, but then again I think Nissan Sunny Pulsar's are nice ;)
Getting rid of that reflection would lift it alot more :).

Just what I'm trying to say about the composition (y)

Last edited:
^^ Agree with you across the board there Dal. The only thing you could've said or done different is refer to the light on the screen as glare rather than reflection but that's being pretty pedantic on my part.

Very nice mate.
Are you a detailer by any chance?
With such a clean and polished car like that!!

Very nice mate.
Are you a detailer by any chance?
With such a clean and polished car like that!!

Far from it. I'd just bought the car a couple of days before the shots and I used the opportunity before it got dirty. I could never get a car to look that clean !!

Dal....I see what you mean about the polariser on the screen !!

Nice, Black Rock's an awesome beach! We've got a caravan on Greenacres

Back