Scotland trip advice please!

Name
fred
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am going back to Scotland hopefully in a few days, having visited Glencoe and Skye at the same time last year. I had an absolutely fantastic time and was awestruck at the beauty of the place, so much so that the 6 days I had in Scotland make up the majority of my website!

I visited Glen Etive, Buchaille Etive Mor, Glencoe, Elgol, Old man of Stor, Glen Brittle and Sligachan. I am very tempted to do the same again and will go back to Glencoe and Skye but hopefully fit some more in too!

Fortunately I have a little more time (more like 2 weeks) so could you please recommend some places which are relatively close to Glencoe and Skye I should not miss? Thanks

Fred

I've just got back from a week up there.

It depends on how far you are prepared to travel. The Cairngorms are amazing as is the road from Fort William to Mallaig (You can get the ferry from Mallaig to Skye) and around the coast at Mallaig. Bit further north Applecross.

It's such a stunning country I don't think it matters too much where you are. The places you have already listed will keep you busy.

Enjoy. I'm only slightly jealous.:p

Last edited:
The Hebrides are gorgeous and empty, the Cairngorms are also amazing. Aviemore is definitely a place to see, as well as Fort William. The whole of the West coast! Just move here ;)

Ach, the east coast isn't bad either;)

Just checked your site out :clap:
Don't think you really need any advise :LOL:

Just checked your site out :clap:
Don't think you really need any advise :LOL:

Agreed your landscapes are amazing!!! Just do what you have been doing :D

I visited Glen Etive, Buchaille Etive Mor, Glencoe, Elgol, Old man of Stor, Glen Brittle and Sligachan. I am very tempted to do the same again and will go back to Glencoe and Skye but hopefully fit some more in too!

Fortunately I have a little more time (more like 2 weeks) so could you please recommend some places which are relatively close to Glencoe and Skye I should not miss? Thanks

Fred

Over and above the places you've already mentioned:

Ardgour and the Ardnamurchan peninsula are within shooting distance.

Further North - Applecross, Wester Ross, Torridon, Inverpolly - it just gets better (y)

Thanks everyone for the replies and compliments, it is very much appreciated!

Torridon looks amazing and has been added to the list, also Loch Laich and An Teallach, checking out others now. Sorry for making everyone jealous but I have been feeling the same for the past year! Keep the recommendations coming please and don't tempt me about moving there!

Torridon looks amazing and has been added to the list, also Loch Laich and An Teallach, checking out others now. Sorry for making everyone jealous but I have been feeling the same for the past year! Keep the recommendations coming please and don't tempt me about moving there!

Ifyou are thinking about An Teallach then you are very near the Summer Isles -
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=uUhQTaKrKMrAhAevwKXuCg&sqi=2&ved=0CGQQ9QEwCA

You should go check the stats on your site... I bet they peak tonight!

From the Glenfinnan viaduct and back down the A9 on your return, The Old Bridge at Carrbridge, Ruthven Barracks, Killiecrankie, Queens view, Blair Castle and the Forth Bridge.

You should go check the stats on your site... I bet they peak tonight!

Wow, had almost 3000 views yesterday, you are right!

From the Glenfinnan viaduct and back down the A9 on your return, The Old Bridge at Carrbridge, Ruthven Barracks, Killiecrankie, Queens view, Blair Castle and the Forth Bridge.

Brilliant, I have seen pictures of the Glenfinnan Viaduct but never knew where it was! Also really like the look of Carrbridge, Ruthven Barracks and Queens View, more on the list! (y)

I definitely recommend the A9 route. Some of the areas you mentioned in the north west are fabulous and amazingly bleak and stark. The central strip through Perthshire, by comparison, is amazingly lush and green. I love Perthshire and Loch Tay is my favorite area.

I would recommend the Trossachs national park. Loch Katrine, Callendar up the A84/5 to Lix Toll then along the A827 Killin and follow along the banks of Loch Tay toward Aberfeldy and the A9.

I spend a lot of time up and around Aviemore, because I love it there. Loch Morlich is gorgeous and Ruthven Barracks too. It is stunning in the snow.

Don't miss out Dunkeld and Birnam either! Very lush. The Hermitage is worth a visit there.

Rannoch Moor might be along your way too... not really one for landscapes but that place looked tremendous.

Oh, stay away from Clydebank... its crap.

;)

Trip I used to take when i was younger was Edinburgh to Inverness going through Perth, Glenshee back roads to Inverness and down Loch Ness on the left side down to Fort William. The views are breathtaking, memories will be with you for a lifetime. Done it many times and still when i visit family in Edinburgh and Aberdeen we take part of the route.

You can do in reverse taking Loch Ness on the right.

The wildlife you see on route can also be fantastic. I remember late evening being stuck on the road down from Glenshee with a road block made of 100+ Red Deer.

Can't wait till our two weeks on Mull and mainland in June/July.

Can't really add to whats already been said expect your landscapes are stunning ;-)

I used this site for walking http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

It could be useful for some routes to areas you want, you can view it in Google Earth and also links to a marked route on the OS maps.

Andy
ps Would really like to see what you come back with (y)

Further North - Applecross
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

If you're going to Skye then you really need to do a diversion up Bealach na Ba to Applecross. Be sure to arrive in Applecross for lunch at the Applecross Inn - fantastic seafood!

Oh! Keep an eye out for some of the birdies. This was shot on the road down into Applecross.

Golden%20Eagle.jpg

Last edited:
it's not called Bonnie Scotland for nothing - almost everywhere is photogenic!

edinburgh, dundee, paisley, and lots of other places - there is more uglyness than beauty

you're obviously not a Scot.

I'm quite proud of my Country.

Try the Isle of Mull. 45 mins on a ferry from Oban. Superb place, just got back from a week ther (pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/). Lovely landscape and seascape opportunities - it'll be right up your street.

And if you are on Skye, get the ferry to Tarbert on Harris. A stunning place - unique. Luskentyre beach is stonking, as is the moon-like terrain on Harris. Well worth the ferry believe me. And the Harris Hotel in Tarbert is very nice with the best breakfast ever.

The Bealach na Ba is well worth a visit. I'd love to go back some time when I am not cycling up there so I can enjoy the view a bit more.

Torridon/Applecross/Loch Carron etc.

Ratagan and the Brochs at Glenelg.

If you have the time take the road up from Lairg to Bettyhill - Strathnaver is fantastic (turn right at Altnaharra).

Ratagan Youth Hostel by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Wheesht! Let that be our secret.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I used to hate the the east coast. However, I have been educated by one or two forest ogres.............;)

All of Scotland is great, every area offers differing opportunities, differing wild life in differing areas. Make the most of it all, speak to the locals, they don`t all bite,listen and learn from them. If they accept you they will offer you all the help they can, if they don`t, then i`m afraid your rather bolloxed..........:)

edit to add........It is the Scottish peoples country, not the English peoples, realise that and behave accordingly..........:)

Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice. I have been in Scotland almost a week now. Around Glencoe then Skye.

Had a slight hitch, my 5D + 17-40 drowned in the sea at Talisker! I was then left with a 450D and 70-200, which was not good at all. I can however vouch for the friendliness of Scots! I met a woman in a coffee shop and ended up driving to her sister's house and buying a Sigma 10-20 for a very reasonable price so back on track now!

Going to Torridon tomorrow, anyone have any good sunrise/ sunset locations for there?

Hi

I am going back to Scotland hopefully in a few days, having visited Glencoe and Skye at the same time last year. I had an absolutely fantastic time and was awestruck at the beauty of the place, so much so that the 6 days I had in Scotland make up the majority of my website!

Fred

Fred! your pictures are amazing!
i have questions! about the pictures taken in Scotland Elgol and spekes mill, did you use a filter for the wave's effect?

Also do you use HDR on all the pictures or just a bit of postprocessing.

Thanks!

Fred! your pictures are amazing!
i have questions! about the pictures taken in Scotland Elgol and spekes mill, did you use a filter for the wave's effect?

Also do you use HDR on all the pictures or just a bit of postprocessing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the comment! For the water effect I use filters, although the blurry water comes from longer shutter speeds so a filter is only necessary if the natural light doesn't produce a long enough shutter speed.

None of my images are HDR but I use graduated neutral density filters on pretty much all of them and use curves, saturation, levels and sharpening in post processing.

Back