Scotland U-21 Netball Team - 360 Degree Spherical Panorama

Name
Billy Hepburn
Edit My Images
No
360 Degree Spherical Panorama of the Scotland U-21 Netball Team!

Click the link BELOW the photo to view the panorama!

Scotland_Netball_Pano_01_600_PB.jpg

Scotland Under 21 Netball Team
http://www.musicpro.co.uk/sites/netball/pages/netball_pano_01.html

billyh42
elevation360

It's certainly different. How do you do it?

Just been watching the 360 degree pano at full screen-amazingly awesome !!!!!

Wow thats cool! and strangely I am reminded that this is what my eyes see after too much vodka?!

Oh no wait... thats me spinning and NOT the room!

Got to be more than four shots.

No it doesn't! I frequently take these images using only two shots! :)

definately has....otherwise you'd need like a lens capable of 180 degrees!

There are quite a few common lenses with more than 180 degree field of view.

A lens with an uncropped 180 degree field of view would do this in 2 (if you could align the edges accurately) or more likely 3 (to ensure overlap) shots.

This was taken with a Sigma 8mm on a Nikon D100. These lenses are designed to give a circular image with the appropriate camera. i.e. A camera with a sensor (or negative size) of 36mm x 24mm (35mm size).

Because the sensor in most digital cameras is quite small (APS-C size I believe) part of the image is cut off on the longer edge of the sensor when using this lens.

Very few digital cameras have a large sensor equivalent to a 35mm neg. The only one I am aware of is the new Nikon D3, which has a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor.

With the D100 the camera is used in portrait orientation to get 180 degrees in the vertical plane (where the image is not cut off on the sensor).

However as the horizontal plane is cropped by the sensor I have to take extra shots to ensure an overlap.

The first shot was taken looking directly at the girl holding the ball then the camera is turned 90 degrees each time for the remaining three shots, so four shots in total! I could have probably have done it in three shots if I had the time! Unfortunately they were waiting tio start the match and you need to be pretty accurate to do it in three shots (with very little overlap), whereas its relatively easy (i.e. each shot points at the wall) with four shots.

Incidentally, I can do this with two shots using my Nikon Coolpix with the fisheye attachment as the field of view is actually 183 degrees by 183 degrees with a full circular image!

billyh42
elevation360

Panoramic images didn't appear to be working yesterday!

Thanks to those who let me know.

It was a problem with the ISP's server and everything appears to be working again today!

billyh42
http://elevation360.com

Due to problems with Demon Internet (and their complete lack of customer support) the panoramic images have now been moved onto a completely different server.

All original links will still work!

Again, thanks to those who let me know!

billyh42

Very nice, I bet this type of thing is ideal for interior room shots. (real estate and hotel room selling)

Very nice, I bet this type of thing is ideal for interior room shots. (real estate and hotel room selling)

You get this used a lot in various virtual tours.

Estate Agents however, tend to use a simple "one-shot" attachment, a cone shaped mirror, on a standard point and shoot digital camera which gives a limited low quality 360 degree horizontal view from one vertical shot.

The photos are then processed using software that unwarps the distorted mirror view to give a very limited low quality panorama

The full 360 degree (horizontal and vertical) panoramas are usually only seen on the "upmarket" sites.

but then you'd need pixel perfect line up for stitching, and you would still need 180 degrees vertically otherwise it'd be even more shots ;)

As long as there's a bit of overlap you can generally stitch anything with a bit of patience - you don't need "pixel perfect" line up as long as the whole area of the image is covered.

The key to taking 360 Spherical Panoramics is to take enough shots to completely cover the area.

You don't actually need to always cover the full vertical 180 degrees either as once the image is stitched, the area lost at the top or bottom of the shot is tiny and can usually be patched in later. The exception to this rule is if there is a lot of detail in a ceiling for example then I'll take an additional shot pointing straight up.

In this photo it's 4 shots to give a decent overlap but it could have been done with 3 if it wasn't done in a hurry! The shots are taken roughly 90 degrees apart, basically just take a shot turn right, take another shot turn right etc - nothing is measured as there's more than enough overlap in 4 shots for stitching.

There seems to be a common misconception that "pixel perfect" line up of everything is a must and that the camera must be perfectly level and at the same height for every shot, but this is generally one of the myths perpetrated by the companies that want to sell you a £600 "Panoramic Head" for your tripod.

I don't for a second suggest that all this expensive equipment and precision won't give you good results and if you're going to use one of the common "automatic" stitching software programs you'll probably need your image alignment to be accurate enough for the software to work.

While this shot was taken using the camera on a "tripod" (actually a simple lighting stand) because of the low shutter speed, most of my panoramic shots are taken "hand-held" with no tripod and I have never owned a "Panoramic Head" so accurate lining up of the individual images isn't that important as long as all your shots overlap and cover the image area.

billyh42

Last edited:
Due to problems with Demon Internet (and their complete lack of customer support) the panoramic images have now been moved onto a completely different server.

Further to the previous message, because everything has been moved to a different server, the relevant domain names and their associated DNS settings now point to the new server.

This may result in a "blank" page being displayed while the new DNS settings are propagated throughout the internet.

According to the hosting company the DNS setting changes can take up to 48 hours to complete.

Normal service will resume ASAP!

billyh42

I love this kind of shot!

The 360 view gives a new dimension to what would otherwise be quite a humdrum shot.

pg32

For anyone interested in taking this type of shot I've just posted a Sigma 8mm Fisheye in the "For Sale" section of the forums.

See HERE!

billyh42
elevation360

Back