Scotland - Voigtlander R3A

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
..and Nokton 40mm f1.4 on Kodak Ektar 100.

The Road to Nowhere. This little road runs to just passed Kinlochhourn and then stops on the Knoydart peninsula. Knoydart is one of the last great unspoilt regions of Britain, no roads, one village (which can only be reached by sea or a 2 day walk) and big mountains.

The-Roasd-to-Nowhere by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Loch on the Caledonian Canal at Gairlochy

Yacht by andysnapper1, on Flickr

View of Loch Lochy

Cloud-Street by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Meall nan Dearcag or the Hill of Berries

Meall-nan-Dearcag by andysnapper1, on Flickr

The Falls of Pattack

The-Falls4 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and any comments or critique is very welcome. (y)

Cheers

Andy

Nice bunch of shots there Andy looks like you have capture the essence of the place.

I especially like the first one with the mix of sun & grey sky's.

You say the film is Ektar?

They seem almost Fuji / Velvia the greens seem very saturated :thinking:

But that could just be me.

Last edited:
I like these Andy, a good representation of the different vista available and it sure looks like a place to spend some time.
I particularly like #2&3 for the dramatic effect, they show just what a big, big place it is.

Thanks guys.

Its definitely a place for landscape photography.

I've noticed that the greens seem to be very obvious with the last few rolls of Ektar and you're right they do have a Velvia look to them.

Andy

I love the way the road draws your eye into the image in the first one, I would be tempted to cut the bottom third off to try and focus on the mountains.

The last one is also really good, my only crit would be that the bottom is a bit 'messy' maybe a slower shutter speed would have helped smooth it out.

(y)

Nice shots. It looks very similar to the experience I am having with ektar too and I like it! ;)

Really nice, I like No1.

Coincidently, my car is caught on the Google Streetview at the end of that road, at Kinlochhourn!

Thanks folks.

Andy

Andy, I've been meaning to come in here and comment on these shots for the last couple of weeks, but as you know, I don't like to do "like 1,2, and 4" stuff, so haven't had chance 'till now...

1) Like the overall composition - lots of lines leading across, through and into the picture. On a day that appears to have been a bit of a "curate's egg" you've caught the foreground area illuminated nicely. It's just a shame the first of the distant ones is only partly illuminated - if that'd had the full green look, it'd have brought a little more depth into things. Still all told, a really nice shot.

2) Bit brighter weather certainly helps on this shot. Lost a little detail in the LH side of the Lock chamber, though with the direction of the sunlight, and the size and depth of those Locks it's hardly surprising. I'm guessing your vantage point was on the second lock gate. Personally, I'd have liked to see the shot from maybe 1-2 steps to your left, further across the gate. That way, the mast of the Yacht would have passed straight up over the grass banks, rather than getting visually tied up with the next set of canalside furniture.

3) Is one of those Big Sky, Big Loch moments, isn't it. It's a little hard at first to get a feel for the scale, until you realise that those little bumps on the far shore are actually large mature trees.

4) now this one really gives me the feel of being out walking in Scotland - Water, lush green grass, sunshine, trees, and a big black cloud coming rolling over the nearest Hill :LOL: I think one of the reasons I like this is that you've resisted the "i'm shooting landscapes, let me fit my widest lens and try to cram in everything" urge. The 40mm has given a lovely Natural looking aspect to all these shots, but IMHO to this one in particular.

5) This shot is probably the one where a wider angle lens might have been a little more successful - though only if it was in a location where you COULD get close up to the rocks in the outflow, and maybe see a little further around the corner of the stream.

All in all, a lovely set, and one as I say, I've been waiting to get some free time to comment on. The colours from the Ektar 100 work for me on this set - maybe a TAD over-blue in #3, but hey - blue sky's and water in Scotland... who'd a thunk it? The combination of the Bessa and Nokton 40mm worked well, and I'm sure was a damned sight more comfortable to lug around than my EOS-3 and 17-40L.

Hmmm - once again I start to wonder if I could get on with a "proper" rangefinder, rather than the awful fed3b.

Thank you for your kind words David. (y)

As usual Mark your comments and critique are welcome and spot on. I really think you would like a good quality rangefinder mate. They are so neat and compact and coupled with a good lens you would have to go a long way to get better shots.

Cheers

Andy

Thank you Rooban.

Andy

Thanks very much, foolishly I sold the camera and lens that I took these with.....big mistake.

Andy

Lovely set Andy, very nice indeed. Are those colours pretty much straight from the scan or have they had the saturation increased slightly? I'm just about to try my first ever roll of Ektar in the RB so I'm curious to know what to expect!

If I remember rightly, these had very little done to them other than a little levels tweak and a slight contrast adjustment. Bear in mind though that these were taken in Scotland where the light is different and better....:D

Back