Scotland Scotland

Edit My Images
No
I'm planning on going to Scotland either mid February or beginning of March.

I'm just wondering where's a good place to stay which is central'ish, I definitely want to go to Glencoe and will probably do Ben Nevis but other than that I just want to go to all the good photo locations :)

Suggestions welcome!

How long are you planning to be there, and are you looking for a hotel, self catering or what? Both Glencoe and Fort William are ski centres, and accommodation can go quickly if there's decent snow.

Last edited:
How long are you planning to be there, and are you looking for a hotel, self catering or what? Both Glencoe and Fort William are ski centres, and accommodation can go quickly if there's decent snow.

It would be for a whole week. Usually I stay in Hotels/B&B but decent self catering would be fine as long as there are places to eat in the area.

Thanks

Not quite central, but Oban is a great base. Glen Coe and Ben Nevis are about 70-90 min drive but with Oban, you’ve got easy access to the isles - Mull definitely recommended (40 min ferry crossing from Oban) with onward access to several other smaller isles. Plenty of landscape and wildlife photo opportunities and if you’re lucky, take a boat trip and you may see dolphins. Plenty of accommodation choices in Oban and no shortage of affordable places to eat (or expensive if you’re looking for a treat). A visit to the seafood hut outside the ferry is a must if you like freshly caught seafood and there’s a few good fish & chips shops on the high street. We paid around £900 for a week in August for a self catered 2 bedroom apartment within walking distance of all the shops, restaurants and ferry terminal. Booked to go back in May half term.
Here’s a shot of Tobermory in the Isle of Mull

C6B39270-0447-4CCC-9440-EFEE8E955FC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be worth a look at this site. https://www.outdoorcapital.co.uk/stay/

Thanks I'll have a look

Oban is a great base. Glen Coe and Ben Nevis are about 70-90 min drive but with Oban, you’ve got easy access to the isles - Mull definitely recommended (40 min ferry crossing from Oban) with onward access to several other smaller isles. Plenty of landscape and wildlife photo opportunities and if you’re lucky, take a boat trip and you may see dolphins. Plenty of accommodation choices in Oban and no shortage affordable places to eat (or expensive if you’re looking for a treat). A visit to the seafood hut outside the ferry
Here’s a shot of Tobermory in the Isle of Mull

View attachment 340043

That's great thank you. Didn't think of the Isle like Mull, I'd love to do the Isle of Skye but I guess that's another trip all together?

I'll have a look what's on Mull but I'm more interested in the Mountains and Lakes really on this trip, I live in Pembrokeshire so I see Dolphins and coast all the time lol

Thanks I'll have a look

That's great thank you. Didn't think of the Isle like Mull, I'd love to do the Isle of Skye but I guess that's another trip all together?

I'll have a look what's on Mull but I'm more interested in the Mountains and Lakes really on this trip, I live in Pembrokeshire so I see Dolphins and coast all the time lol
I would suggest Oban as a base and then hopping over to Mull for a day trip or 2 on the ferry (take your car as you’ll need it to drive around the isle). I wouldn’t stay in Mull as not a lot happening (IMO). Skye is further up north so somewhere like Fort William might be a better base. Lucky you seeing dolphins where you live - I didn’t see any on the boat trip we did in August but apparently the same boat had spotted loads earlier that day!

I would suggest Oban as a base and then hopping over to Mull for a day trip or 2 on the ferry (take your car as you’ll need it to drive around the isle). I wouldn’t stay in Mull as not a lot happening (IMO). Skye is further up north so somewhere like Fort William might be a better base. Lucky you seeing dolphins where you live - I didn’t see any on the boat trip we did in August but apparently the same boat had spotted loads earlier that day!

Again thank you :)

There are lots of Dolphins in this area, during the summer they came all the way into the Harbour where I live so could see them from the house. It's the first time that had happened, they usually stay outside and around the small islands but they obviously followed a lot of fish in. Amazing to watch :)

Thanks I'll have a look

Good luck finding lakes in Scotland. There's only one, the rest are lochs...

I'm planning on going to Scotland either mid February or beginning of March.

I'm just wondering where's a good place to stay which is central'ish, I definitely want to go to Glencoe and will probably do Ben Nevis but other than that I just want to go to all the good photo locations :)

Suggestions welcome!

Somewhere around Fort William would be handy. It is only about 20 miles from Fort William to Glencoe.

You say you will probably do Ben Nevis. What is your experience of walking mountains in Winter? In mid Feb/early March the conditions on the Ben could be extreme and even with good weather it is very likely to have deep snow cover.

Dave

Somewhere around Fort William would be handy. It is only about 20 miles from Fort William to Glencoe.

You say you will probably do Ben Nevis. What is your experience of walking mountains in Winter? In mid Feb/early March the conditions on the Ben could be extreme and even with good weather it is very likely to have deep snow cover.

Dave

Thanks sounds good.

Ben Nevis will be subject to weather, I've not done it before but have done other UK mountains in the Winter, Snowdon, Cadir Idris etc in heavy snow etc. I fancy the challenge but wont be stupid :)

Thanks sounds good.

Ben Nevis will be subject to weather, I've not done it before but have done other UK mountains in the Winter, Snowdon, Cadir Idris etc in heavy snow etc. I fancy the challenge but wont be stupid :)

I should have mentioned the WalkHighlands site - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

The walks section has details(description and photos) of hundreds of walks all over Scotland. The walks range from 1km strolls to full day mountain walks, but all give a good idea of some of the delights of the areas.

Dave

I should have mentioned the WalkHighlands site - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

The walks section has details(description and photos) of hundreds of walks all over Scotland. The walks range from 1km strolls to full day mountain walks, but all give a good idea of some of the delights of the areas.

Dave

That is great, thank you. Very handy for the stiff I like doing :)

This one is at Keil, Duror, near Ballachulish on Loch Linnhe. We've stayed there a couple of times. Sadly I have no idea where the phone number is as it's been years since we stayed there.
(The road from Tarbert against Loch Lomond is somewhat entertaining in heavy rain:D)

The self catering cottage is right next to the loch. Not much of a beach because it's all rocky/pebbles in each direction. Can't walk far towards the south of the cottage because a river blocks the way. To the North, again, a river blocks the way. Both have sea trout in if interested (and when in season).

So many walks around.

This one is at Keil, Duror, near Ballachulish on Loch Linnhe. We've stayed there a couple of times. Sadly I have no idea where the phone number is as it's been years since we stayed there.
(The road from Tarbert against Loch Lomond is somewhat entertaining in heavy rain:D)

The self catering cottage is right next to the loch. Not much of a beach because it's all rocky/pebbles in each direction. Can't walk far towards the south of the cottage because a river blocks the way. To the North, again, a river blocks the way. Both have sea trout in if interested (and when in season).

So many walks around.

That looks good, lovely view to wake up to!

Back