SD Memory Card Question (Nikon D40)

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

Just bought my Nikon d40 today, so Im very excited! However I cannot do anything as I havent got a memory card yet :( What is the maximum size of memory can it handle, and what features of the SD card should I look at? (size, speed etc) Anyone got any recommendations? Thank you!!!

i use a 4gig sdhc card in my d80 :)

Well done Wolf - and congratulations on buying your D40;)
I am sure it will give a lot of hours of fun.

I also use a Sandisk extreme III (2 Gig). My advice is to shop around. I like to support UK stockists if I can.

I buy all my camera food from MX2 - they are channel island based and are extremely competitive in costs. Could only find the 1 Gig version on their site today though:thinking:

What about a case/bag - did you sort?

Martin

I see. SHDC is supported and normal SD isn't? What is this extreme III? Is this Sandisk's SHDC?

Thanks Martin. I haven't yet got a case/bag. I barely made it to my lectures after buying the camera! I also, like you, got the 3 year accidental warranty - now i have a peace of mind taking it out and shooting!

Hi

I would recommend buying an sd card from either DABS or ebuyer.com I have had several cards from both and no problems in 2 years so far, also the price is right!

Happy snapping!

Mark

As much as I like to use high street shops if I can (I bought my camera in Jessops) I was in there the other day and the guy told me that they had a special deal on extreme III cards for half price. I looked and it was down to £34 from £68! I paid £14.99 for the same thing...:shrug:

lol I was about to say. Jessops marked up the cards by a huge amount!

Anyways, what is the difference between Extreme III, SDHC, and normal SD? Tried wikiepdia but to no avail :(

Oops sorry. I paid £24 for the 2 Gig, and £14.99 for 1 Gig. Still a considerable saving.

Oh and to answer your question, the Sandisk is the brand name, extreme III is the product name and I think they do them up to 2 Gigs. Over that and you are into SDHC territory As for what it stands for? Dunno. I think its Secure digital high capacity...
anyone else on this one?

Back