Seals at Blakeney Point

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am visiting North Norfolk and was hoping to be able to take a boat trip to get some photos of the seals. Can anyone tell me how close the boats get and what sort of focal length I need? I have a Nikon D750 (FX) and a Nikon D7200 (DX) and a Sigma 100-300mm f4. I usually prefer to use the D750 but can use the D7200 if the extra reach (x1.5 crop factor) is needed. Any advice from someone who has done one of the boat trips would be most welcome.

100-300mm lens should be fine, the boat gets fairly close to them and watch for them in the sea too. The trips are tide dependant and go from Morston Quay, some will stop off at the lifeboat station.

100-300mm lens should be fine, the boat gets fairly close to them and watch for them in the sea too. The trips are tide dependant and go from Morston Quay, some will stop off at the lifeboat station.
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to take both bodies with me so i can switch to the D7200 if i need the 1.5x crop factor.

Depending on where you're staying you might want to look at Horsey
You can view the pupping from the dunes for the price of car parking and if you can a donation to the Friends who volunteer there in the worst of weather.

They've just closed the beach to people and had the first grey pup.
(Facebook link)

Depending on where you're staying you might want to look at Horsey
You can view the pupping from the dunes for the price of car parking and if you can a donation to the Friends who volunteer there in the worst of weather.

They've just closed the beach to people and had the first grey pup.
(Facebook link)
Thanks for this. We're staying at Brancaster Staithe so only 90 minutes away according to Google.

Thanks for this. We're staying at Brancaster Staithe so only 90 minutes away according to Google.
It takes a long time to cross Norfolk - partly the size of the place and the paucity of good, fast roads.
The direct route is not as picturesque as the coast road, past Wells and Cromer, but that is slow and wiggly.

If you're going to Horsey then keep an eye on the weather and the time. It can be incredibly cold and windy.
The dunes are tall and if you get there in the afternoon then the light coming from the West can put the beach in shade surprisingly early.

If you can go on a weekday I would, the place gets very busy in the weekends on the run up to Christmas as the pup count goes uo.
It's early for pups now but it will be teaming with adult seals anyway.

All the pups in this album are taken from the dune viewing points. There are other beach shots from the summer when you can wander around and see them lounging about.

Regarding lenses I used to use a 40-150mm on Micro 4/.3rds (crop factor of 2).
Last time I went I had my 75-300mm on M43 which was useful but I struggled with shutter speed at the long end - fur blowing in the wind and the seals moving about.
The lens just isn't fast enough at 600mm equi. for winter in shade.

It's lots of fun though and the pups are incredibly cute, The males fighting is also a sight to see and well worth having a good dune between you and them :)

It takes a long time to cross Norfolk - partly the size of the place and the paucity of good, fast roads.
The direct route is not as picturesque as the coast road, past Wells and Cromer, but that is slow and wiggly.

If you're going to Horsey then keep an eye on the weather and the time. It can be incredibly cold and windy.
The dunes are tall and if you get there in the afternoon then the light coming from the West can put the beach in shade surprisingly early.

If you can go on a weekday I would, the place gets very busy in the weekends on the run up to Christmas as the pup count goes uo.
It's early for pups now but it will be teaming with adult seals anyway.

All the pups in this album are taken from the dune viewing points. There are other beach shots from the summer when you can wander around and see them lounging about.

Regarding lenses I used to use a 40-150mm on Micro 4/.3rds (crop factor of 2).
Last time I went I had my 75-300mm on M43 which was useful but I struggled with shutter speed at the long end - fur blowing in the wind and the seals moving about.
The lens just isn't fast enough at 600mm equi. for winter in shade.

It's lots of fun though and the pups are incredibly cute, The males fighting is also a sight to see and well worth having a good dune between you and them :)
Thanks for the information. We're staying up in Norfolk mid-November so hopefully plenty of seals to shoot at both Blekeny and Horsey. We're up there for a whole week and so can visit Horsey on a weekday. Thanks again for the tips. I am quite new to Nature/wildlife so this will be an education either way!

Back