Second camera

Name
Paul Bates
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a D3500 ( which I never use ), a D7100 ( which I use if im going out and dont want to keep putting 1000's of shots on my D500 unnecessarily ) & a D500.

Im happy having a second camera body to pile the shutter count on but feel like I should be using something better/newer than my D7100.

do other people do anything similar? and what would people suggest for around £400ish? a second hand D7500 is a little bit more than I want to spend really. I was potentially considering the D7200 or D5600 route? It doesnt even need to be a crop sensor I guess

thanks

If your D7100 is adequate for the shots you use it for there is no advantage to a newer camera. If it does do everything you want filling out it's failings (especially those shared by the D500) might help you pick a good backup.
I currently have digital cameras in 6 different mounts, with multiple bodies in most of these. Many of them are older models and often with small sensors too.
The cameras I actually take with me depend on what I'm expecting to shoot - sometimes the tiny sensor pentax Q if I'm not expecting challenging subjects & want to keep weight down, Other times I might pack FF with both infra red & visual capabilities.

i'd have a look at trade ins or sales of the d7100 and d3500 add to the £400 and get the best used d500 i could get and have a pair of d500's

Get a D700 and a decent FF lens.

You;ll never look back.

Wish I'd never sold mine
I'd recommend a D700 to anyone who wants to dip their toes into FF. Unless you need video or the resolution from a higher megapixel FF sensor, I'd recommend a D700 over a D610 or D750 any day. Could easily get a good example D700 for under £400 or perhaps consider selling the D3500 & D7100 and putting the money towards a D810. A D810 and D500 would be a nice combo.

Do you need two bodies? Just stick the shutter count on the D500 and keep/put some money away for a replacement if the worse happens.

Only time I'd consider that sort of thing is if I was shooting a lot of timelapse or something.
This.
It’s bonkers to not use your ‘favourite’ camera to avoid shutter count.

It’s like leaving the Rolls Royce at home and driving around in a Renault 5.

The only point in owning nice things is to use them.

I’ve kept the 6d in case I ever need a 2nd body, but I only use it when it’s absolutely necessary, cos it’s simply not as nice to use as the R6.

Hi All

thanks for all your responses. The general consensus appears to be; if I have a D500, use a D500. which I think settles the argument for me. which is handy. as my next major life decision ( destined for a new post ) is a very expensive lens decision

thanks again

Back