Secret Britain

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
On now on BBC1. Is anyone else watching? Looks like a good source of info for landscape and nature togs. Although you might need some new kit to get to some of the locations, not lenses and filters but abseiling gear and sea kayaks!!

Stunning camerawork as well (y)

I am watching, I love programs like this, I remember watching Coast when it first started, we have some fab places in this country, shame about the weather we normally experience.

Can't wait as it moves north and into some of the areas I know.
It really makes you wonder just how much stuff you pass by every day, blissfully unaware it's even there?

Good programme last night - looks promising.

I watched it and I also thought hey that would be a great place to take photos. Cant wait till Wales is on there... Think it must be next week as she said she was off to prembrok

Another cracker last night. Shame a lot of the locations are truely secret and we'll never get to see. I'm wondering if a little googling could throw up the location of that blue pool in the quarry though, that looked lovely!
Oh, and rock climbing in jeans? No wonder he struggled!!

A lot of the places on the show around here aren't a secret, nor the Snowdonia ones lol

drew

OK, so does anyone know where the quarry and the blue pool are, please?

Some stunning locations on the programme so far!

OK, so does anyone know where the quarry and the blue pool are, please?

Some stunning locations on the programme so far!

Think this may be it

From Llangollen take the A542 towards the Horseshoe Pass, when you arrive at the Ponderosa Café it is best to park in their Car Park (also useful for when you return for a nice warm cuppa) and walk directly opposite up into the Quarry in the second of the large Holes created by Quarrying you will find the Blue Lagoon or the Blue Pool as some call it. This pool is only for experienced swimmers as it is 12m (about 40ft) deep. Almost every warm day you will find swimmers and divers at the pool including myself where the more adventurous climb to about 15 to 20ft and jump off the rock ledges into the pool. I would suggest bathing in the water first to adjust to the temperature as it can have quite a chill to it. It is also ideal for snorkelling as there are some quite breathtaking underwater scenery and rock formations The pool is a crystal blue colour, I expect due to large copper sulphate content in the water.

Thanks, Nigel, but this doesn't look like the one on the programme (we walked up to that pool from the Ponderosa a week or so ago, but it was nearly empty!)
Having done some research, I think the featured pool is near Fairbourne. The terrain around the pool on secret Britain showed some slate, if that helps.

Thanks, Nigel, but this doesn't look like the one on the programme (we walked up to that pool from the Ponderosa a week or so ago, but it was nearly empty!)
Having done some research, I think the featured pool is near Fairbourne. The terrain around the pool on secret Britain showed some slate, if that helps.

My initial reaction was that it was one of the quarries around Rhydd Ddu but I am going to watch the programme again on iPlayer to see if I can get any more clues

Golwern Quarry up above Fairbourne looks a possibility as well,at the start of the piece when she had been at Cwm Idwal Julia said "Leaving SWnowdonia and heading south so Fairbourne looks a possibility

Further to this, I seriously recommend this area to anyone for a visit... its truely magical.
from Cadir Idris to the amazing panoramas on the precipise walk, waterfalls on the torrent walk, the old gold and tin mines scattered around the area. The gold mine next to coed-y-brenin has several spectacular waterfalls. even the beaches at Barmouth and Fairbourne are nice.

Back