Seeking advice with canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

My name is Tomas, I'm desperately looking for a EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, well I don't really know if the IS is necessary for me, I need to shoot figure skating and ice hockey so would the IS help in an indoor ice rink? Could having a mono-pod be just as good?
Secondly, it seems if you buy this kind of kit from Hong Kong through ebay, it seems much cheaper but is it a good idea? Has anyone had any horrible consequences?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Best Regards

Tomas Whitehouse
www.primedirectivephotogaphy.com

Hi Tomas,

Using a monopod can certainly give you the extra stability that would work out to the same sort of level of extra stops available as with the IS. It does take more getting used to though as you don't have the same freedom to move with the camera. Lots of sports snappers use both and having the base of the monopod resting in a pouch worn around your waist or from a harness is another popular option. You still get the monopod taking the weight and adding stabilty but it moves with you far better.

As for buying from HK, I have heard the odd story about repair issues during the cover period or having to pay extra for the duty but mostly it seems to work out well enough.

Hello Tomas and welcome to the loony bin! :wave:

I can't help you with your Far East question as I've never gone that route for equipment. Lots of people do though, so I think the answer is choose a known reputable supplier. Just bear in mind you could get hit for import duty. Unlike bodies, lenses carry an international warranty, so you shouldn't have any problems if the lens needs attention.

Canon IS lenses have two IS modes and the second one works to eliminate up and down movement when panning, so I would think that would be very useful for skaters crossing your field of view?

My advice is get the IS if you can - you'll never regret it.

Thanks very much indeed for the speedy advice folks.

I think I am swaying to the IS side of things but it is alot of extra sheets.

Many thanks

Tomas

One thing to bear in mind with IS is that it only compensates for camera shake and not subject movement. With skaters moving at speed, esp. hockey players the lower shutter speeds IS gives you will be no good for freezing the action.

One thing to bear in mind with IS is that it only compensates for camera shake and not subject movement. With skaters moving at speed, esp. hockey players the lower shutter speeds IS gives you will be no good for freezing the action.

Hmmm, sounds interesting, thats exactly what I'm trying to work out, is IS really going to give me the bang for the extra buck?
I need shutter speeds of 1/500 and up, most likely hand held or using a mono pod, will IS help with camera shake at high shutter speeds? I don't own a lens with IS you see so don't know what to expect.
If it's not going to help me all the much in the ice rink scenario then Idon't know if I should spend the extra.

Thanks

Tomas

Well if you use the lens on a monopod, the camera will still detect the minor movements transmitted just by your hands being on the camera so IS would normally still help. However, if you're typically going to be shooting at 1/500 then I'd agree it's a pretty moot point anyway.

I'm usually using similar shutter speeds to you Tomas and the IS is switched off 99% of the time. If it wasn't for the weather sealing I'd have kept my sigma 70-200 F2.8 as I think it's the better lens, certainly far better value. If you want to stick to Canon the F2.8 nonIS version could be a better buy, although, like the sigma, it doesn't have the weather sealing either.

I'm usually using similar shutter speeds to you Tomas and the IS is switched off 99% of the time. If it wasn't for the weather sealing I'd have kept my sigma 70-200 F2.8 as I think it's the better lens, certainly far better value. If you want to stick to Canon the F2.8 nonIS version could be a better buy, although, like the sigma, it doesn't have the weather sealing either.

Very good point, I hadn't thought of the weather sealing, thanks folks. You've deffo given me some good brain food there.

Regards

Tomas

Very good point, I hadn't thought of the weather sealing, thanks folks. You've deffo given me some good brain food there.

Regards

Tomas

Thomas - old mis-quote, but its always better to have IS and not need it, than to need IS and not have it. No, it will NOT freeze action, but it will improve sharpness in most cases (prevents mirror slap vibration, camera shake, etc, etc).

Ask Kerso (user on this board) about supplying said lens. Excellent price and service!

Carl.

:agree: I have my IS on all of the time & found that it has helped a massive amount with all of my photography - it stabilises the image in the viewfinder too so even if it doesn't freeze the action, you'll still use it imo.

ditto.

No-ones disputing that IS is very good, the problem is that, in the case of this particular lens, it adds about 500 quid to the price, which is a not inconsiderable amount of dosh.

Another possible option might be the 70-200 F4 IS. If you can make do with F4 rather than F2.8 (which may well not be possible if you're shooting indoors a lot) then this offers IS and weather sealing for about the same price as the F2.8 non-IS. Just thought I'd throw that in there to confuse you even more :)

Thanks Folks, all the thoughts and hints has really helped, I'm just in the middle of closing a deal with the very honourable Ian Kerr, a very fair gentleman flying the flag for a good deal when I really thought the day of deals was over. Just waiting for him to mail me back.
It's the IS I have chosen to go for, it was the added weather sealing that finally swayed me and as i'm shooting indoors in slightly moist/cold conditions etc and also the very sketchy lighting that ice rinks provide.
Seriously now, thankyou all for your 2 cents on this topic, being a newbie to this forum I'm already feeling quite safe and sound.

Many thanks

Tomas
www.primedirectivephotography.com

Can we ask how much he's doing it for, out of curiosity? :)

Was just wondering whether he'd got some barking good deal but I spose it was a bit cheeky to ask.

I'm still trying to justify the F4 IS but just don't have the cash atm if I'm honest with myself :(

Back