Seeking sewer type location

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, can anyone think of any good locations that look like they could be London's sewer system?

I'm thinking curved brick tunnels and hopefully some water although not essential. I've tried using the tunnels of a castle but I'm looking for something more authentic/dirty looking. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks! James

Working in the water industry I certainly wouldn't recommend entering any sewer system. There are plenty of dangers in sewers from the contents of the sewage (human waste, sanitary products, needles, toxic chemicals) to the toxic gases produced. Hydrogen Sulphide is one gas that is present, its very dangerous and could easily kill if present in high enough concentrations. Some sewers can look like hardly anything goes through but flows can rapidly increase without warning when the weather changes or a upstream pump starts up.

Even if the water companies let you visit them you would probably need a permit, definitely need to be supervised and need the proper equipment. The fire bridge regularly train at our sites and even they are supervised at all times, even stopped from doing anything wrong or dangerous.

Last edited:
Hydrogen Sulphide is seriously nasty. It anaesthetic which means that when you can no longer smell it it is either no longer present in the area or it has stopped your sense of smell working and next your lungs will stop working. :(

Southern Water run tours of the Brighton sewers for interested groups, you could try contacting them.

Back