Seen a 2nd hand Macbook Pro

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Mate of mine at work has just bought a new 17" Macbook Pro so is now looking to sell his previous model. The specs are as follows:

Apple MacBook Pro 17"
2.16Ghz Dual Core Core Duo
2GB Ram
120GB Hard Drive
Leopard OS X 10.5.6
iLife 09
Battery was replaced by Apple and is still in good condition.

He's asking £500 for it as they are going for £600-£800 on Ebay. Can I upgrade the memory to 4gb easily ??

Any advice would be helpful from the Mac guys out there.

Cheers,

Adam.

Not according to crucial - Linky. Max that model can hold is apparently 2GB. Have known them to be wrong sometimes though!

Hope this helps. :)

How old is it? I'm sure the Macbook Pro's could all take 4GB with the new ones supporting more? It was just the old white Macbook's that couldn't take anymore than 2GB..

Maybe this is one for Cowasaki..

How old is it? I'm sure the Macbook Pro's could all take 4GB with the new ones supporting more? It was just the old white Macbook's that couldn't take anymore than 2GB..

Maybe this is one for Cowasaki..

Another linky to macworld that states 2GB maximum - but as I say sometimes you get lucky and the motherboard can support more. I got the 2.33ghz model because it was certified for 4Gb Ram.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 2 or 4 gig tbh. It's still going to be a fairly rapid machine and a good 500 notes worth.

Mine is the 2.33 version but one gen older with the 80gb drive, with 2gb of ram. I use it with a leaf back and it's more than happy juggling 34mb raw files.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure by looking at those Macbook Pro specs it will support 3 GB of RAM, whereas the earlier Core Duo models only supported 2GB max. I know that my iMac(2006 model) will accept 2x2GB sticks of DD2-667 but the Mac will only "see" 3GB(3.3 to be exact)

Mike.

Even with the 2gig RAM it's still a very capable and solid machine.

That's a very good price for a Mac Pro and 2GB of RAM should be adequate although I'm pretty sure they will take more than 2GB as the old MacBook takes 2GB so one would assume the MBP would take more:)

My experiences with trying to shove more memory in than recommended is of instability probably due to excess heat. It may work, it may use it, it may keep crashing.

I would go along with the other posters - it will be a capable PC and my white macbook does not seem to be *that* much faster with 4Gb over the original 2Gb.

Chris

...in fact, if I had the option, I'd probably buy it from him.

I'm only running 2gig in my 15" 2.4ghz MBP and it flies - runs CS2 with ease while several big (70mb+) files are open, along with other software. For £500 it's a bargain... and that screen is something else!!!

I think 2GB maximum, but 2G is enough for most people I think. maybe not for you^O^

:LOL: fair point Tulipone.
Any news OP?

He's bringing it into work for me to have a play with on Friday. He also mentioned about leaving his copy of Aperture on the Mac so could be a very good bargain :clap:

Can't see why the 17" would take only 2gb when the 15" model takes 4gb.

The model the OP has is the older spec Macbook Pro and not the newer spec Macbook Pro which supports 4GB + RAM.

Look here for the answer:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2787

As I mentioned earlier on in a post, it supports 3GB although they are working on the basis that you use a 1GB stick along with a 2GB stick to fill both memory slots rather than 2 lots of 2GB sticks.

Mike.

The 2.16Ghz Core Duo only takes a maximum of 2GB of RAM ( I have one as my main machine at the minute. ) so no you can't go to 4GB. The Core 2 Duo machines could access 3GB although it isn't supported by Apple to do it.

The later machines can take 4GB, or 8GB for the new Uni-body ones.

Unless you're processing a lot of RAW files it'll do the job nicely. It works for me but when processing 1700+ raw files it gets bogged down in Aperture. Not sure why as you only process one at a time but that's what I've found. But otherwise it's a great machine.

Pete

I have explained the Ram limits on my web site www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk and it is basically what icecavern said (other than the last generation non unibody which can now go to 6 or 8Gb)

Apple only ever state a maximum that THEY sold, not what will actually fit. There is no issue with heat or anything else it is just what the chipset will see!

If you stick an unbalanced pair in a core duo or core 2 duo ie 1Gb+2Gb it drops to single channel mode so is slower (which is why Apple do not advise it) but it does work. (The SLIGHT reduction in speed is offset by the higher ram so the computer WILL be quicker). You can, however, stick 2x2Gb in which will show as 3Gb but run in dual channel mode (the difference in cost between 2x2Gb & 1x2Gb and 1x1Gb is now minimal).

Lastly the newest (ie the last ones) non unibody Macbook pros can now take 6GB (2Gb+4Gb) due to new higher density ram (when snow leopard is released it may work with 2x4Gb !!). If you stick 2x4Gb in a non unibody macbook pro and run leopard is crashes and Apple will not fix it because it is not a recommended upgrade!

Oh and the OP was talking about that macbook pro.... BUY IT that is a bargainous price for a really good machine. It is such a bargain that if someone offered it to me I would buy and and re-sell it !!!

Back