Sekonic L-358, 558, Difference

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
Hi there folks, apart from the price of these two itams can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between the two.

Paul Tomo(y)

Hope someone answers as I would like to know this too. As the title of the 358 has flash meter in the title, I assumed it was mainly for studio work but someone who knows what they are talking about would really help.

Also, not quite off topic, noticed the price of a 758 is only £220 inc delivery from Hong Kong vs around £330 in the UK.

I use the 358 which I bought from MPB from this site for £120

It's a good all round meter, both for ambient and studio light - virtually waterproof too. I bought it for Weddings and as a bonus use it in the studio too

IMO the only significant difference is the 758's Spot Meter, something I'd never use anyway (and yes - I do lots of landscape work too where some suggest a spot meter is 'vital'). If you know exactly what you're after (as a sports/wildlife tog and don't trust your camera's meter) and are used to the Zone metering system then the 758 may be for you, otherwise - save your money

DD

I use the 358 which I bought from MPB from this site for £120

It's a good all round meter, both for ambient and studio light - virtually waterproof too. I bought it for Weddings and as a bonus use it in the studio too

IMO the only significant difference is the 758's Spot Meter, something I'd never use anyway (and yes - I do lots of landscape work too where some suggest a spot meter is 'vital'). If you know exactly what you're after (as a sports/wildlife tog and don't trust your camera's meter) and are used to the Zone metering system then the 758 may be for you, otherwise - save your money

DD
Thanks DD, I was looking at the 558 is this something like the 758,

I am looking at doing the same type of photography as yourself.

Paul Tomo(y)

Soz Paul

I meant the 558 and accidentally posted 758 - just so happens there IS a 758 too so it wasn't so obvious I'd mistyped 558 !!!

If you're a fully fledged Pro with a big studio and loads of lights then the 558/758 may be for you - if you're just starting out I think you'd be buying features you may never need, hence save your money IMO

DD

Have a quick look at www.dg-photography.co.uk for your answer

:D

Then explain why it matters ??? :shrug:

DD

Not to sure on what you mean, am i looking for the answer to the first question about the light meter or are you a pro tog, i can see now that you work as a pro tog.

can you tell me what "Then explain why it matter??? mean

Paul

Okay - soz Paul

Yep, I'm a Pro

And yes I use the 358 in studio and out & about

It just sounded like you meant - 'If you're a Pro I'll take notice of what you say, and if not, I won't'

:LOL:

I have had extensive 'discussions' (read - blazing arguments!!!) as to why in digital spot meters are a waste of time/money and as yet I still can't be convinced otherwise!!!!!!!

Hope that helps

DD

Hi DD,

What it is DD, i am new to this digital stuff and not to sure on what i need to buy to get me going and what i don't want to do is buy something now and then in a few months time wish i had bought something else that was i little more in money to start with.

I used to do B&W photography years ago and also did some developing and printing as well. I start collage in September for 2 years national diploma, i am thinking that with some of the money i have now it would be a good idea to buy good qaulity gear to see me through the course and beyond.

I am looking at making a living at photography, i do value your thoughts, advice and help, i tend to run before i walk.

Many thanks Dave for your help.

Paul Tomo

Hi DD,

What it is DD, i am new to this digital stuff and not to sure on what i need to buy to get me going and what i don't want to do is buy something now and then in a few months time wish i had bought something else that was i little more in money to start with.

I used to do B&W photography years ago and also did some developing and printing as well. I start collage in September for 2 years national diploma, i am thinking that with some of the money i have now it would be a good idea to buy good qaulity gear to see me through the course and beyond.

I am looking at making a living at photography, i do value your thoughts, advice and help, i tend to run before i walk.

Many thanks Dave for your help.

Paul Tomo

I understand your thinking and confusion too

So, your camera has a fab meter for reflected light - and you can learn to live with it and around it when it's not quite right in most lighting conditions

The studio is different - there is no reflected light for your camera meter to read, so you can either snap away and see what you get to learn from - or buy a meter to help save you time

The 358 is an expensive meter for this (there are many cheaper, but I can't think of any I'd recommend!). For studio work YOU WILL NEVER NEED a spot meter, it's a waste of money

Spot meters are useful to those who have no internal camera metering, no understanding of metering, or like to pratt about to no effect (IMHO)

In my early days of studio work I used a calculator to work out lighting ratios; then I discovered a very basic flashmeter - which was faster and way cooler

In 30 years as a tog I have NEVER needed a spot meter

But, feel free to spend £300 even £1,000 on one if it makes you feel good - if you learn what you're doing you'll realise you don't need it, but at least it's there if you can ever find a need for it

Don't get me wrong - there are strong uses for fab spotmeters and the like - but not for what I do and what you say you wish to do - if you have rich parents buy one, otherwise spend wisely my friend

DD

Back