Self portrait advice needed for my website!

Name
Louise Knight
Edit My Images
No
Hello!

Just taken some self portraits, because I'm having a website built for me and am having an 'about me' page.

I'm just after some advice - which one should I use for that page, if any..?!

The site is going to have a black background.. I'm not sure if that'll make any difference!

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3287-2.jpg

I appreciate a couple are pretty similar, but I couldn't decide :D

Ta, Lou :)

Will this be a business website or a personal portfolio one? If business, I would say #4, if personal, I quite like #3. The bra strap on your shoulder in #1 and #2 spoil them for me.

great job getting those eyes in focus, I always wanted to try some self portraits but id never be happy with the outcome because I cant get the focus perfect, plus the subject is not photogenic :p

If I had to choose, i'd say 4 or 5, maybe more 4 because the colour in the eyes is great.

It's a portfolio site really, but it'll have a contact page and services that I offer.. so a bit of both really.

I agree with the bra strap though, slightly annoying as I quite liked number 1 :D

thanks for your input :)

great job getting those eyes in focus, I always wanted to try some self portraits but id never be happy with the outcome because I cant get the focus perfect, plus the subject is not photogenic :p

If I had to choose, i'd say 4 or 5, maybe more 4 because the colour in the eyes is great.

Thanks :) it's handy having a wireless remote y'know :D self portraits can be a bit hit'n miss, but this 'session' went pretty smoothly as far as focus goes :)

It's a portfolio site really, but it'll have a contact page and services that I offer.. so a bit of both really.

I agree with the bra strap though, slightly annoying as I quite liked number 1 :D

thanks for your input :)

You could either clone or crop the bra strap and use the image on the site in a gallery and then use #4 (with the skirting board cropped. ;)) on your "about" page.

in fact I found my zapper for the remote shutter earlier today so maybe i'll give a go.
The best I've done is the B&W shot I posted a couple weeks ago.

Cloning the strap will be pretty hard I imagine, you could easily clone out the skirting board though, I kinda like the crop on 4/5, maybe a little tighter but not too much. I think if you just cropped to cut off the skirting then it wouldn't look as good.

Last edited:
cloning the bra strap would just be a total pain in the backside to be honest, I think I'd rather just give it another go tomorrow or something without it instead!

I'm tempted to use number 3 in a gallery, number 4 on the about me page, and number 1 as my new facebook pic :LOL:

Honestly? None of them.

If you're putting a contact me page on there and you want people's business then you need to portray a friendly and welcoming demeanour IMO. I could list why I don't think each image is suitable but overall I think they're more poses I'd associate with a model you were directing than someone I'd want to give money to.

Sorry I'm not more positive but I don't think there's any point picking one from a bunch I don't like when I would rather see something different.

Kev

Honestly? None of them.

If you're putting a contact me page on there and you want people's business then you need to portray a friendly and welcoming demeanour IMO. I could list why I don't think each image is suitable but overall I think they're more poses I'd associate with a model you were directing than someone I'd want to give money to.

Sorry I'm not more positive but I don't think there's any point picking one from a bunch I don't like when I would rather see something different.

Kev

Thanks for your opinion, all has been noted :) so what would you suggest?

Ahhh, I never said I knew the answer to that:LOL:

It's cliched but if you're aphotographer selling your wares then I think you need to have a photo with you and your camera. Bit difficult if you've only got one, maybe you could borrow one to use as a prop. You're work is nice and stylish and there's no reason why you can't apply the same style to a cliched ' me and my camera' shot.

Ask me something technical, I'm a virgo and a man, creativity is not one of my strong points!

I like this one
mini-IMG_3287-2.jpg

Thanks for your opinion, all has been noted :) so what would you suggest?

I'd agree with Kev too.

They all look too posed and directed to suit an about page, I think. You'd be better maybe getting an assistant to take a photo of you when you're working, or going for the kind of headshot an actor has.

I love #3! But I agree that it wouldn't work very well for an about me page, as your eyes are closed. I do like that shot a lot though! Your skin looks perfect!

If I had to choose one I'd pick the last one. I'd maybe crop it a little tighter bringing your eyes a little bit closer to the top of the frame though, cutting out a little bit more of the top of your head. I only say that because I find that my eyes are being drawn away from your eyes and more to the parting in your hair. It could just be me though...

#2 would be my choice. I actually like the fact that your bra strap is not studio-perfect, as it gives the image a sense of reality for me.

1 & 4 for me but both of them need a crop, I would lose most of the bottom part of the image in 1 and make it square as it makes a lot of difference and marc (Fabs) is spot on about cropping to just above the skirting board in 4.

Good work, especially for self portraits.

I do like numbers 3 and 4. Have you tried them out on your website yet? Maybe you could rotate your favourite images.
You have caught your eyes extremely nicely in all the images.

5 for me...i was about to suggest the same crop as Jockwav presented, 4 & 5look perfect for a SP on we page, I think 5 just edges it in mono, a bit more moody.

Can you number them please? i can't work out which is which :LOL:

Tony

#3 would be the best to use in my opinion. A lovely, subtle shot.

Back