Self Portrait

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Ok, I am placing my testicles cautiously in your hands here. I've attempted a self portrait!

I didn't have a clue how to go about this so set it up at work because there's more space. White backdrop with some lighting pointing from just one side. With the camera on a tripod I then manually pre focussed on something before hitting the self timer and sitting down in front of the lens.

This was the best of the bunch!

The biggest problem I had was that I wear glasses and was getting some awful reflections so I had to remove them. As a result, you get to see even more of my ugly mug!

Click the image to go Biggr on Flickr!

Your comments? :shrug:

As said on flickr, I wont be messing with you :D Cool shot mate.

As said on flickr, I wont be messing with you :D Cool shot mate.

:LOL:

Eeeek, do I look menacing? I was trying to look just expressionless as I'm never sure about 'posing' for the camera. Not that I do it much... in fact I avoid if at all possible.

I dont know why, but I felt if I was going to persue this photography lark, I should attempt a self portrait.

I might live to regret this!

I might live to regret this!

Don't see why.

Its a cracking shot - a bit high key, but I guess that's what you were after. You nailed the focus on the eyes and they look really clear and sharp.

Good work.

As you said, light from one side only creates shadows. If that's what you wanted, then fine - maybe try even more moody next time - ie more shadow in the unlit area. Otherwise, you either need 2 lights, or use natural light (eg sat next to a window) and a reflector

Never place your testicles in my hand!!:bat::boxer::bonk:

You look like a deeply spiritual person, someone who's caring and bakes a little in the evenings.

I really like it. What about one with emotion (not posing)?

Well done. It looks ok to me. Is that an earring on the left hand side of your face? You've managed to avoid that look in the eye that people who wear glasses have, when they take the glasses off. This normal impact of this is to make the people seem slightly abnormal. We'll all be able to place you as that friendly chap with a slightly stern expression.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mobilevirgin - I wanted to try either high key or low key and couldnt find anything black for a backdrop. I thought I might live to regret it because I dont consider myself photogenic and I either look expressionless (as here) or a complete gimp! I think I might have gotten away with it and avoided gimp! :D

Tumbleweed - Spiritual? :LOL: Not at all, but I do enjoy some nice freshly prepared food. Berry crumble... yum, yum! :)

RH - Yes, earring and eyebrow. I did think about cloning the earring out as it has caught the light and looks a little bold. But it's part of me, so it stays for now.

Brilliant, nothing scares me more witless than the idea of a self portrait. Technically, it's great and that's not always at all easy when you're setting up and then running round to get into the shot.

The look is great, very piercing and lots of impact too. Did you do any with the exposure set for the highlight side as I reckon that could look really good too?

No, just hard as nails :)

You better believe it! So just remember that when you're commenting on my pics next time scotty boy! :D

Brilliant, nothing scares me more witless than the idea of a self portrait. Did you do any with the exposure set for the highlight?

Me too, but something inside just took a hold and made me think I needed to attempt it. Sorry, don't have any exposed for the left side of my face. Because I was on white I wanted one side to 'disappear' into the background, so the thought never occurred to me.

Its good Lee sharp and well taken with effective selective colouring too and as I've told you its made me think twice about posting one of myself - maybe maybe :)

Bold stuff and good! Kudos to to!

I like it a lot mate, loke the detail in your eyes.....
I have a shoot next weekend so while all my studio kit it out, I may well give it a go.

Its good Lee sharp and well taken with effective selective colouring too

Oooo, you're the first to mention this. I expected to get slated for it. But I thought it worked and was subtle.

COMMENTS FROM YANK TO FOLLOW. FORGIVE WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LACK OF POLITENESS AND PUT IT DOWN TO MY SAVAGE UPBRINGING

OK, right up front I'll tell you that I hate the 4 x 6 format for portraits (I know its the accepted UK and European aspect ratio). IMO, it just doesn't fit people well.

That being said, I really like your high-key photo, very interesting and technically quite good.

However, your eyes are right in the center vertically - not a good place -and there is too much on the very top that doesn't contribute to the impact.

I would crop much tighter, moving your eyes up to the thirds line (and your mouth is on the other) and getting rid of lots of the empty space. This seems much stronger comp to me.

Yes, it does clip the ears but so what. We all know what ears look like and, if we keep the ears, we also have to keep the white space above them.

By llorton

COMMENTS FROM YANK TO FOLLOW. FORGIVE WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LACK OF POLITENESS AND PUT IT DOWN TO MY SAVAGE UPBRINGING

OK, right up front I'll tell you that I hate the 4 x 6 format for portraits (I know its the accepted UK and European aspect ratio). IMO, it just doesn't fit people well.

That being said, I really like your high-key photo, very interesting and technically quite good.

However, your eyes are right in the center vertically - not a good place -and there is too much on the very top that doesn't contribute to the impact.

I would crop much tighter, moving your eyes up to the thirds line (and your mouth is on the other) and getting rid of lots of the empty space. This seems much stronger comp to me.

Yes, it does clip the ears but so what. We all know what ears look like and, if we keep the ears, we also have to keep the white space above them.

By llorton

Erm, can I reply in the same manner? You have ruined his portrait. The first was absolutely fine :)

Oh, and welcome :D

Gary.

Did I see you on crimewatch the other day.

Hehe only kidding.

I think you have done rather well, I wish I could take a photo like that.

So that means you didn't like the suggestions?

:LOL::LOL:

Not keen :D I think the first pic has good impact, but with your edit, it annoys me seeing the clipping. I would prefer a super close up (loosing the edge of the face), or the original.

Gary.

I think that the first shot is great, although on first impression I get the hard as nails look but on further perusal I can see the deeper night time baker, crying to soppy films kinda guy....probably wrong Ha ha.... the Travellers second crop removes the sense of impact and the wrestlers head stubble in my opinion..........but a superb self portrait .

Last edited:
Great shoot, but it think a little bit over at right hand side.

I can sort of see where the traveler is coming from, but his impact is lost by the border he's produced. A tight crop does work -

53339246235919817956.jpg

And, bloody hell, 68lbs, I do hope you don't mind all of this. You're brave for putting up a SP in the first place, let alone having TP people crawl all over it and disect it bit by bit.

So, kudos to you.

I'm not sure what to make of all these comments about 'brave'!

I agree that the crop doesn't really work IMO. I don't think the tighter crop of MV does either - I think because it's straight, and there's an annoying bit of background by my neck. However, now that I have a remote for the camera (thanks Jelster), I might try some closeup details - I was thinking eye for definite. I also have a few other ideas if I'm brave enough to post em.

Back