Selfishness - is getting the shot really worth it?

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A link to an interesting blog post popped up in my Facebook feed today. It's about the lack of respect that some photographers and "Instagrammers" show in order to get the shot they want and garner yet more likes and followers.

https://www.paulreiffer.com/2019/07...stop-being-so-damn-selfish-and-disrespectful/

Some horrendous sounding stuff in there.

I suspect that, despite what's shown in the blog, that most people are still respectful of others, and that it's (as is so often the case) an over-represented minority causing the bulk of the issues, but it still makes me despair of this sort of behavior.

There may be some bad behaviour by photographers but there's also bad behaviour by landowners. Here in Devon there have been cases of people putting bulls and cows together in fields crossed by public footpaths and other equally dangerous behaviour. Stupid aggressive people exist everywhere and that is unfortunately the reality of life.

Appalling behaviour, brainless i'm alright jack scumbags that are a blight on all aspects of modern society
Should be renamed "The Wanka Tree"

There may be some bad behaviour by photographers but there's also bad behaviour by landowners. Here in Devon there have been cases of people putting bulls and cows together in fields crossed by public footpaths and other equally dangerous behaviour. Stupid aggressive people exist everywhere and that is unfortunately the reality of life.
That happens where I live all the time. I didn't realise they couldn't. To be fair they always post a bull in field notice

I'd guess this quite common too - certainly the area from the road to the classic waterfall viewpoint of Buachaille Etive Mor is a muddy mess caused almost wholly by hundreds of photographers - an yes I've taken the shot (the mud was frozen solid the day i did in November).

Spot on article. I have lost count the amount of time I have been set up for a long exposure shot and people have just walked straight in front of my camera, looked over their shoulder, wiped of the phone and proceed to take a number of shots. Upon "politely" asking them to move all I get is its a free country.

I have even been set up right on the boundary of a location where it clearly states no access beyond this point, and again they don't seem to care. But on the other hand I have met some perfectly nice people who have been respectful, asked question and even posed for me before.

Unfortunately I think it is a case of the minority ruining it for the majority as always!

I experienced this to a degree last year shooting Durdle door over Christmas when the sun rises through the arch...I arrived at 5am and was the first there but by sunrise there were over 20-30 photographers all in a line...some going in front of others...some having a go at others for where they had walked because they had created foot prints in the sand....then frantic panic as the sun came up and some photographers realising they had got in the wrong position...uprooting their gear and running in front and between other people who had got it right, compromising other people's view in the process...

That happens where I live all the time. I didn't realise they couldn't. To be fair they always post a bull in field notice
I may have mislead you for which I apologise. The actual rule is...
The only bull allowed in a field crossed by a public right of way is a bull under 10 months old or a beef bull accompanied by cows or heifers. Breeds of bull that must NOT be kept in fields with a path include Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry. Farmers are advised to ensure they comply with the HSE Agricultual Information Sheet No 17 on Cattle and Public Access. ( http://www.outdoorswest.org.uk/Home...ed-questions/problems-on-public-rights-of-way )
To be honest though I've seen enough incidents with bulls of other breeds to be leery of them all. :(

Last edited:
I may have mislead you for which I apologise. The actual rule is...
To be honest though I've seen enough incidents with bulls of other breeds to be leery of them all. :(
Interesting, one field close to me where I often walk the dog, its a public right of way, has a bull in field sign, even though there are no cattle in that field at the moment. Seems thats not recommended. Never actually saw the bull, when cattle were in there as I never walk the dog where livestock are, so wouldn't know if its one of the allowed breeds. To be honest I wouldn't know even if I saw it.

All cows are evil, end of story!!!!!!

Back