Sensor cleaning secret?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Okay, whats the secret to getting the sensor dust free? :shrug:

After about 40 or 50 goes (not kidding!) about the best I can get mine is this:

I've used the rocket blower, sensor cleaning brush and swabs with cleaning fluid. Mainly used the rocket blower and sensor cleaning brush but did do the swabs about four times.

I am getting the dust off but more seems to be appearing in different places every time I clean it. :bang:

Any tips on where I might be going wrong? :thinking:

I used the SensorKlear by Lenspen with no problems.

Have a wee go on the search facility here, loads of info and help.

Warehouse Express offer a 49 quid cleaning service, Id try that if your outta luck doing it yourself.

On my old S2 when I didnt care, I squirted a drop of the Eclipse fluid on to the sensor where the dirt was. Left it for 10 seconds then scrubbed a little with a pec pad. Seemed to work *** if you screw if it then it aint my fault.

How would a sensor loupe help?

I've already read dozens of topics on cleaning the sensor and I'm not having a problem removing the dust, my problems is every time I remove some then more appears somewhere else.

If I could afford to throw away £49 on getting the sensor cleaned then I would do, unfortunately I can't. Seems that having it cleaned that way would make photography a very expensive hobby with regard to long term running costs as I've only had mine 5 weeks and £49 every 5 weeks is a lot to pay out just to have the sensor cleaned! :puke: £490 a year!

I've cleaned my 30D sensor once in two years. You'll always get dust on the sensor, it's a fact of life on a camera with removable lenses. I give mine a blow-out with a rocket blower once a month to reduce the dust build up , other than that I always change lenses with the camera facing down to avoid moisture/icky stuff getting on the sensor.

//edit

have a look here for some advice / help

;)

I've cleaned my 30D sensor once in two years. You'll always get dust on the sensor, it's a fact of life on a camera with removable lenses. I give mine a blow-out with a rocket blower once a month to reduce the dust build up , other than that I always change lenses with the camera facing down to avoid moisture/icky stuff getting on the sensor.
;)

see i have always wondered about this one, as i dont like getting moisture/dirt etc on the lens either. we cant win lol

Even if you get it perfect, as soon as you change lenses you'll let dust into the mirror chamber, which will eventually make its way on to the sensor.

I suppose you have to accept that the sensor will always have some dust on it. If you can keep it down to a resonable level, i.e. the dust doesn't show up below f/11 say, it's not a problem.

A.

Easier to clean the lens than the sensor

Try again but in the bathroom, normally a lot less dust in there than the rest of the house.

Have you somehow got a load of crud inside the body?

Have you done a lens change somewhere really dirty?

the main secret to successful sensor cleaning, is making sure the chamber is as clean as a clean thing first, otherwise, as soon as the mirroe drops, the shutter curtains open and close, and so on, more dust will be attracted to the sensor. As has already been said, mount the camera face doen on a tripod in the bathroom and give the chamber a damn good blasting with a rocket blower type thing first, then do the sensor.

Back