sensor cleaning

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
There are many products on the market at the moment, some only just being touted on the net and others that have been around for some time, what are peoples views and what do you all use?

I use eclipse fluid, with pec pads wrapped around a small spatula.

Works a treat.

I carry two bodies and only change lenses indoors.
Then when I get back off a job I take my stuff into Nikon and they clean it for me.
If I ever clean the sensor in the 'field' then I use a cleaning kit supplied by calumet - little cotton buds. And a blower - NOT Kandair - the propellant gets on the sensor and buggers it forever.
One of my colleagues killed a D1x by being too rough in his sensor cleaning - he also failed to use the mains lead, setting the shutter to 'B' instead. This meant that the chip was active and the damn thing fried after he waved it around in the bright Iraqi sunshine.
He now sits in a CPC in Northern Ireland waiting to be sent back to the TA.

Oh the stories I could tell you...

I too have Eclipse fluid and pec pads. I've never had to clean the sensor with them yet, just lenses and the fresnel screen above the mirror. The one time my sensor got dirty I was lucky enough to be able to clean it with a blower.

i havent got any lenses yet so i dont change it, but im concerned that i will struggle with dust when i do...

I did email twice a leading brand of cleaning thingies to enquire about possible group buys and samples for testing, but the ignorant feckers havent even bothered to reply to either mail, i wont name them yet though!

Don't use any fluid on the CCD or bypass screen - EVER! if it won't come off with a blower and a gentle wipe with a proper cleaning pad, leave it and get the camera serviced by the manufacturer.
Canon UK and Nikon UK both do Professional Services for Pro Phots (that just means if you bought a Pro-spec camera you are eligable) - I take mine in whenever I come back from somewhere dusty and it's a half-day turnaround if you ask nicely.

These cameras are pretty well sealed though unless you take the lenses off. We had one of the COP guys (just camera operators for surveillance jobs) drop his D1 into the bottom of a muddy trench then tread on it while he was scrambling around. When he tried to hand it back covered in mud, the storeman told him in no uncertain terms to clean it off. Being a bright lad, he took it to the vehicle wash-down point and jet-washed the camera!
It was fine - no water ingress at all. When Nikon heard about it (as they do) they asked if they could use the story in an Ad campaign - we said no coz it made us look like a right bunch of nobs!
People from Nikon still ask if it's a true story, whenever they find out I'm an army phot. Sad to say it is...

EosD said:
I did email twice a leading brand of cleaning thingies to enquire about possible group buys and samples for testing, but the ignorant feckers havent even bothered to reply to either mail, i wont name them yet though!

Tell me - we'll send the boys round and shake them up a bit. Better still, I'll email them and get them to sponsor me - you have no idea how big this new organisation I'm working for is about to get - not size-wise but in influence. I've had the major accounts managers from all the major companies phoning me up asking to take me out to lunch...
Terrible! I'm trying to lose weight... It did get us the D2x earlier than expected though.

well you have a pm.......lol @ numpty and the pressure washer!

I'm on leave at the mo (Mrs Mad in hospital) but I'll get on it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Hope the Mrs is ok!

Arkady said:
I'm on leave at the mo (Mrs Mad in hospital) but I'll get on it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the kind offer and I hope the Mrs gets well soon.

I had dust on the sensor on my D60 and took it took the store i purchased it from, they sent it to canon for cleaning and it came back with the advice to always turn off the camera before changing lenses.

Back