SEO questions.

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to get my head round this whole search engine optimisation thing.

Having read what google's own guidelines have to say, it appears that I may be compromising my ranking by having lots of coppermine gallery pages which have similar content, and not much in the way of content at that.

Could someone take a look and see if they think that may be the case.

eg. This page is very similar in content to the rest in that particular gallery. As are others in other galleries.

http://qwertyphoto.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=0

So would I do better if in the robots.txt file I excluded the http://qwertyphoto.com/gallery/thumbnails.php files ?

Ta Rich

You've got:
img src="albums/charlesworth_fell_race/thumb_2nd_Place.jpg" class="image" width="65" border="0" alt="2nd_Place.jpg" title="Filename=2nd_Place.jpg
Filesize=167KB
Dimensions=438x620
Date added=11.Jul 2009"

Things that can help:

Make the filename more descriptive e.g. charlesworth_fell_race_2nd_place_runner_19.jpg

(Add height="whatever")

I keep the alt info limited to Photo: filename.jpg filesize.

Be more descriptive with the title info, and duplicate it as human readable text on the page e.g. Charlesworth Fell Race, winner of 2nd place, Runner No. 19.

Thanks for the reply.

I intend in future to make the filename more descriptive, as you have suggested.

Though do you not think as the majority of the information on the page is similar to other pages that google will penalise me.

My thought were to just send google to the pages which are text content rich which would mean, it would at present only go to < 100 pages, though these would be quality ones the majority of which have descriptive URLs etc.

Unless you specifically deny access to the Googlebot, it'll crawl around wherever it wants to. I'm surprised how it'll pluck an image here or there. Maybe it's to avoid annoyance over use of bandwidth?

It should help if you have an index or sitemap with e.g. Charlesworth Fell Race as the link text pointing to the start of that gallery. On the gallery pages have Charlesworth Fell Race as an h1 header (style it, so it's not too huge) and run another domain (known to Google) with a few links to qwertyphoto.

Back