Setting up a D200 for long-lens action...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Been using my D200 since Jan and am really happy with it. It's useable straght from the box and I've got on with it fine without having to faff too much.

However, having a read through the manual last night, read the bit about AF priority selection, AF-S mode priority and the like... confusion has set in!:thinking:

I've never really done any long lens stuff for action, always using long lenses in the post for landscapes etc. What are the 'cardinal sins' and what are the 'essential tips' for long lens work?

Also, how does everyone set their D200s up for action? Do you have specific set-ups for your long lens work?

I don't do one form of action 'togging but will be doing some more snowboarding stuff this winter, windsurfing at my local ressy and some cycling and motorsport.

Which lens are you thinking of bud?

I set mine up for 'action' stuff as follows.

Auto ISO, minimum shutter speed of 1/250 (horses not cars!)
Focus set to continuous and dynamic area auto focus. Seems to work a treat for me.

Cheers,

Bob

Pretty much the same as Bob, except for the Auto ISO as find that sometimes the camera will punt it away up to 1600 (the D300 sometimes goes to 2500) without really needing to, so I set it manually.

I "Try" to cap it at 400 on the D200, not always possible I know.

Auto ISO, ?????:thinking:

I never new it had that.

Maybe should get round to reading the manual:naughty:

Twentyten

Nikon manuals make great bedtime reading............:D

Nikon Digital Field guide for the D200 will be a lot quicker than the manual....although the manual will get you to sleep faster....

Back