Settings for motorsport

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to Brands Hatch on Wednesday for the first bit of motorsport photography I've ever done.

Has anyone got any tips about settings to use?

I'm still a bit of a noob, so any advice greatly appreicated.

What's the slowest shutter speed I will get away with? I'm hoping to take most of my shorts on a tight corner, so hopefully the cars will be going reasonably slow.

Also, what type of focussing should I use, and what metering?

Cheers everyone.

Have a search for a guide i made for brands before going.

You can pan as slow as 1/5th or even slower. However if your new to motorsport/panning i would suggest starting about 1/200th and maybe trying to get down to 1/125th.

The catch with shooting at a slower corner (inside of druids is a good spot) however as you rightly say, the cars go slower. This means you need a slower shutter speed to make them look like they are going fast.

Metering, centre weighted or multi segment should do, depending on if its foggy or if the cars are black.

You will get the hang of it pretty fast, its not that hard really. Have a good time, no idea what will be on track, maybe one of the touring car teams, BSB team, Truck and some other bits and pieces.

Dont know your camera but if it has A1 Servo use it,shutter speed i would start about 1/125th & check for sharpness & wheel motion & then try & bring it down a bit.:)

Have a search for a guide i made for brands before going.

You can pan as slow as 1/5th or even slower. However if your new to motorsport/panning i would suggest starting about 1/200th and maybe trying to get down to 1/125th.

The catch with shooting at a slower corner (inside of druids is a good spot) however as you rightly say, the cars go slower. This means you need a slower shutter speed to make them look like they are going fast.

Metering, centre weighted or multi segment should do, depending on if its foggy or if the cars are black.

You will get the hang of it pretty fast, its not that hard really. Have a good time, no idea what will be on track, maybe one of the touring car teams, BSB team, Truck and some other bits and pieces.

Cool. Cheers fella.

Yeh, inside of Druids was going to be my spot! :) Can get them coming up to Druids, roung the corner, and down into Cooper Straight.

Hopefully I'll be there the whole day, and by the end of it I should know roughly what I'm doing.

no idea what will be on track, maybe one of the touring car teams, BSB team, Truck and some other bits and pieces.

No, just the MSVR stuff this time...and I quote:

MSVR also runs a number of the UK’s most successful club racing series and championships, and all 20 categories will gather at Brands Hatch on 23 February for MSVR’s 2011 media day. This includes:

Champion of Brands - Club MSV Trackday Trophy - Golf GTI Championship - GT Cup Championship - GT Trophy Endurance Series - Heritage Grand Touring Car Challenge - Lotus Cup Europe – Lotus Cup UK – Lotus on Track Elise Trophy – MINI Challenge – Mk3 Golf GTITDI Challenge - Monoposto Championship – MSV F3 Cup – Production BMW Championship – Radical Clubman’s Cup – Radical UK Cup – Toyo Tires Racing Saloons – Trofeo Abarth 500 GB Championship – SPEED EuroSeries – VAG Trophy

Although MSVR also run F2 and BSB, there won't be either there this time.

See you there :D

Bummer :(

MSV have been out polishing the circuit today, looks very shiny 8)

No, its Indy only tommorow

PS you won't see anything out until 11am - thats when JP finishes his spiel and the pitlane opens for ridez

Well that was an interesting day.
Not great weather, and not really sure if it had finished when I left!
But all the cars started to go home. But then more came to the circuit..... Hmmmmm.

Ah well, I got two hours of fun!
Pretty much access wherever.
Think I got some good shots, although the crap light, mist, and spray from the track didn't help!

Back