Beginner settings for planes

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm posting in here as my questions are pretty basic:D
We are visiting family next week during the trade show part of the Farnborough air show
the plane's go right over where they live so I'm going to have a try at photographing them
It will apparently be mainly jets and passenger planes
I will be using my 7D and 70-200 and 300 2.8
Am thinking F11 and AI servo on AV mode but what sort of shutter speed should I be on?
:)

Adjust your aperture accordingly to keep your SS up, you don't need F11, go wider if needed.

for camera settings a good guideline is the following
Focus set to AF
Centre AF focus point selected only
AI Servo Mode
Evaluative Metering mOde
generally best to shoot in TV ( Shutter Priority Mode )
AUTO ISO
Continuous shooting mode

Shutter speeds
fast jets 1/800th to 1/1200th
fast jet blurred backgrounds 1/500th
Prop aircraft between 1/125 and 1/250 ( depnding on prop.. bi planes the slower speed , spitfires and the like the faster speed
Prop Helicopters between 1/60th and 1/125th depending on speed of rotation
try and keep below ISO 400 if you can though on a sunny day auto ISO is fine and try keep between f/5.6 and f/8 .
again not easy when using TV ( Shutter priority ) but again dpends on weather conditions

That's brilliant thanks very much Andrew and Dean
clear.png

have found out that there's a pub at the end of the runway so should be able to get them taking off and landing
am really looking forward to it I've never tried shooting plane's before
clear.png

Last edited:
I found this week about 1stop exposure compensation helped the detail of the underside of the planes as they flew over against the bright sky

Thanks Simon I assume you mean expose to the right (on Canon) just checking I'm on night's at the moment and brains not fully functional! !!

Excellent thanks Simon I see what you mean
I normally expose to the right anyway, I mostly shoot zoo animals and macro

Back