Shanghai - both sides of the Huangpo River

Edit My Images
Yes
One of the must dos in Shanghai is a walk along the Bund. We went down there the night we arrived and the next morning.

#1 - The Customs House by night (remind you of anything?)

3279609534_7b7127d6db_o.jpg

#2 - What used to the HBSC building by night (remind you of anything?)

3278788759_96e247789e_o.jpg

#3 - luckily Shanghai does not have the Wirral across the river, it has Pudong on the other side

3278788473_69cbe97ba3_o.jpg

#4 - the two "Graces" from the river

3279609808_81ebe2cae9_o.jpg

#5 - looks a lot like the Chrysler building

3279609930_fb6ff69d6e_o.jpg

#6 - keeping his eye on all this consumerism, it was the only statue we saw of him

3279610108_760e4e7e2a_o.jpg

#7 - outside the HSBC building as was

3279610286_31fe9414c4_o.jpg

#8 - one of the many ships on the Huangpo, which is a very busy working river

3278789409_a595c53866_o.jpg

#9 - ferry across the HuangPo, it scans but will Gerry sing it? and some of the millions that live there

3279610538_bbd91b42d7_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

Guess the Chinese were never afraid to copy :)

At first I thought the low cloud/pollution over the city in #3 was a shame but thinking about it the light pollution glow adds to the shot.

Guess the Chinese were never afraid to copy :)

At first I thought the low cloud/pollution over the city in #3 was a shame but thinking about it the light pollution glow adds to the shot.

Thanks, I took what was available. The cloud cover was down to 500 feet that night. The next day is was about 900 feet when we went up the Jin Mao. I'd like to go back when the weather is better, but not next year when they have the Expo and prices will be through the roof.

nice shots though ... i like it most #3

Thanks very much. I did take about five images of Pudong by night and this is my favourite.

Thanks for the holiday help
More good shots here too
Have you tried to get the 3 graces in one shot
I have had 2 attempts on land but loads of fringing and lens flair round the edges.
Well I must get some work done.

See u all soon
Quedash

Some great shots you got there really like no 3 best

Thanks for the holiday help
More good shots here too
Have you tried to get the 3 graces in one shot
I have had 2 attempts on land but loads of fringing and lens flair round the edges.
Well I must get some work done.

See u all soon
Quedash

Happy to help and glad you like the images. There's a number of images of the 3 graces on this forum. I am sure someone can point them out to you.

Some great shots you got there really like no 3 best

Thanks very much, Pudong has so much neon and light to help with the image. The Shanghai side has a nice wall on which you can place your camera instead of a tripod. China's a big place but lots of the good images do not seem to have much space in which to put a tripod, and the Terracotta Army bans them altogether in the big hall.

Great set of images, captures the flavour of Shanghai very well, I understand the clock on the customs house, the locals call it 'Big Ching'

Nice series Russell - like the tones in the night shots.

Nice pictures, got one very similar to no. 3 myself!

Thanks Mike, did you get any of the Old Town and the French Concession as I didn't get there? If you have may I ask you to post some?

Great set of images, captures the flavour of Shanghai very well, I understand the clock on the customs house, the locals call it 'Big Ching'

Thanks Les. I know the clock is very noisy. I had assumed there was no noise, so when it boomed out I was taken aback.

Nice series Russell - like the tones in the night shots.

Thanks Tom, there are two separate techniques in play. #3 was a low ISO and a longish exposure; #1 and #2 were a much higher ISO and a faster shutter speed. I rather go with the #3 approach.

Love the night shots from you there dude, one and 3 in particular(y)(y)(y)(y)

Love the night shots from you there dude, one and 3 in particular(y)(y)(y)(y)

Thanks BRASH for your comments on this thread and sticking with the travelogue as well. I appreciate the effort you have put in with all the threads I posted (Matt Sayle, eat your heart out). Brilliant on your part.

#3's the most aesthetically pleasing but it's a good set showing the city. I've not had time to post on all of them but looks like a great holiday and place to photograph :)

#3's the most aesthetically pleasing but it's a good set showing the city. I've not had time to post on all of them but looks like a great holiday and place to photograph :)

Thanks for the kind words. China is a great place to visit and if you can do it May/ June or September/ October you can get some great weather. We got the photographic conditions where it was coldest (-12C) and the worst where it was warmest (9C). I would recommend people to go to China, it's awesome.

Watch Mission Impossible 3 - quite a bit filmed here that you will recognise, including The Bund. Picture 8 - the wedge shaped roofs in the background - that was where Tom Cruise swings down on to one on a rope from the cylindrical tower to their right. The last part of the film, the old canal town, although giving the impression that it was Shanghai, was actually Xitang, about 50 miles away. Too late now, but you really should have gone there. And the old town part of Shangai is worth walking around too.

My hotel cost me around £230 for 10 nights and it was a nice place too. I spent about £160 - all my food, transport, and a couple of coach day trips. It's definitely a place I shall go to again.

Watch Mission Impossible 3 - quite a bit filmed here that you will recognise, including The Bund. Picture 8 - the wedge shaped roofs in the background - that was where Tom Cruise swings down on to one on a rope from the cylindrical tower to their right. The last part of the film, the old canal town, although giving the impression that it was Shanghai, was actually Xitang, about 50 miles away. Too late now, but you really should have gone there. And the old town part of Shangai is worth walking around too.

My hotel cost me around £230 for 10 nights and it was a nice place too. I spent about £160 - all my food, transport, and a couple of coach day trips. It's definitely a place I shall go to again.

Thanks for the information about Xitang, with my GLW up for going back to Xi'an and Shanghai, we should get the chance to see Xitang. I haven't seen MI3 as I ran out of energy for the series somewhere in MI2. I may now check it out if it appears on TV/ satellite.

As well as Xitang there is the similar Zhou Zhuang - another canal town worth visiting. To get to these places (and others) there's a company which runs coach trips. It's located in 2 places - Hongkou Stadium, and its main base the Shanghai Stadium. Each trip cost me something like £16 inc lunch at a restaurant. The Xitang trip also stopped at some big old house to look around. The hotel should have info leaflets in those touristy leaflet racks.

As well as Xitang there is the similar Zhou Zhuang - another canal town worth visiting. To get to these places (and others) there's a company which runs coach trips. It's located in 2 places - Hongkou Stadium, and its main base the Shanghai Stadium. Each trip cost me something like £16 inc lunch at a restaurant. The Xitang trip also stopped at some big old house to look around. The hotel should have info leaflets in those touristy leaflet racks.

Thanks, I store them for future use. I like to arrange my own trips to China rather than use tour operators and your information will come in useful when planning trips out.

Back