Sharpen up that LCD screen on the Canon 40D

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I may have discovered something about the lcd screen of the Canon 40d which many people have complained that it's not very sharp.

On taking photos with sawman a few weeks back.. the shots in his Nikon D300 lcd looked fab, but mine were just lacking sharpness and punch. I was very worried that lots of my shots were in fact out of focus.

Once I got home and put them on the pc they were all fine to my relief... which made me realise its the actual display that is at fault here.

I then read that Nikon sharpen up their images before being displayed on the LCD.

So, thinks Janice, if the small image we see on the LCD while we are taking RAW shots is obviously not a raw.. it is probably a tiny jpg.
Now, although RAW shots aren't affected by the Picture Styles, we know that jpgs are.

So I did a little trial and on my picture styles I made a custom one of full sharpness (7) full contrast and a fair bit of saturation.

The restulting shots looked much sharper in the lcd when playing back.

Just to test it today... i took a shot with this custom picture style on... then the same shot with FAITHFUL on.. which is all set to '0'

The two shots looked very different in the LCD but on seeing the actual RAW shots on the pc.. they are identical.

SO, to sum up, if you want your lcd image to look sharper or anything else, do it as a picture style..........but only if you shooting RAW, because if you are shooting large jpgs they will obviously be affected.

oooooo i go try.... :exit:

Neat.. Should work on any Canon that has styles!

Nice one Janice

John C

Yup, thats correct, because what youre actually seeing is a very small JPEG, generated by the camera from the RAW.

I sometimes use it for Black and White shooting, use the B&W picture style with a filter etc, then when in Lightroom, its back to full colour, so it stands to reason the sharpness settings in the picture styles are used in the preview too (y) Neat little tip though :)

What? Who?.....Where?

Help :LOL:

How do i do this :runaway:

Janice said 40D...........go back to sleep Tony :D

Great tip Janice (y)
Isn't the firmware update supposed to do this also? not up-dated yet though as I don't have a 2 meg card
/mental note must buy one

Its' supposed to Chris.. but I didnt notice an iota of difference after I upgraded the firmware. It said it would correct the "phenomenon of a red line on the lcd picture which sometimes occurs".

As far as the histogram goes... it should be the same... as you are only altering the little viewing image that is used for the lcd.. not your photo that you took in RAW.

Its' supposed to Chris.. but I didnt notice an iota of difference after I upgraded the firmware. It said it would correct the "phenomenon of a red line on the lcd picture which sometimes occurs".

OK thanks Janice perhaps I sharnt bother then (y)

You wont bother with my top tip??? :( :shake: :bat:

Back