Sharpness issue

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are three shots taken recently at the Cotswold airshow which all exhibit softness after processing and sharpening. They were taken with a D3s with Nikon 300/2.8 and Nikon 2TC III converter. Shutter speed 1/1250 sec and camera on auto ISO. Any comments why they might not be sharp please. After seeing the quality of what others produce with this equipment it is quite depressing. They were all cropped moderately.
DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

merv:bang:

Don't be too hard on yourself Merv. My first shots were worse than this. I've looked at your exif and to be honest, It is what I would have used.
First things first mate. The 300mm 2.8 with the D3s AND the 2 x converter bolted on is a beast. It takes some mastering to keep it steady. You can do it, but practise, practise and more practise.
One thing that I forgot to mention in our pm's is that I use back button focusing. That way I focus with my thumb. Focus switch on front should be set to 'C' (constant). There is a discussion on here about it somewhere. Do a search mate.
Are these fairly large crops?
Also, I had a play with the first shot (just sharpening) and it improved a fair bit. If you would like to email me the RAW file for that shot, I will see what I can do for you. I'm no expert in PS, so be warned! :D
My email: kevin@lacebymotors.co.uk
As I said, don't get too down about it mate, you've got a superb set up. You could easily get away with increasing the shutter speed to 1/2000s to help and gradually lower it as you get the hang of hand holding the set up.
3yrs ago, mine were far worse than these! :LOL:

Kev.

Thanks kev. You do seem to have improved that image from what I can see. The crops weren't that big because the jet filled a reasonable portion of the frame. Will mail you the RAW file. The Reds are coming here in early August and that will be my next chance to practice. Many thanks, Merv

Back