Shiny's 2023 52 Thread

Old -- as I promised, I am only posting archive pictures for the last part of this 52 due to ill -health. This one was originally uploaded to the subject 'Time' in 2014, it shows me aged 60 holding a photograph of me aged 7.

Time by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

That's a great shot Martin, and spot on for the theme then and now.
Best wishes, hope you can be on the med soon.

That's a great shot Martin, and spot on for the theme then and now.
Best wishes, hope you can be on the med soon.
Thank you. For me, it's quite an evocative photograph

Really like the arrows drone shot, so tempted to get a drone
Nice light on wet and good lighting on old, best wishes

I really like the arrows one, didn't spot it last time so I'me glad you reposted it.

Festive. It is lit in the evening but the weather has been too rubbish to go out in the rain to get it. Hey, I made it to week 52!

Festive by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice scene Martin. They don't look like they have much to say :)

Favourite from 2023. TBH, looking back, I'm not that happy with my photographic output from 2023 and this theme is a bit of a wakeup call as to my perceived photographic inadequacy. Next year, should things go better than they have this December, I intend to spend much less time looking at fancy new gear and more time using the bloody stuff properly!

This is my favourite for this year for its brutality of a city scape. It's simple, but with interesting lines. It was entered in the DPOTY challenge this year and didn't do too badly.

Urban1 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I do like a brutal landscape, and this works well. Good handling of verticals.

But, why not convert to B&W? Pump up the contrast, drop the brightness and it really starts to sing!

Your dilemma of thinking less about the gear, and more about the practice is one I fully understand, and constantly struggle with. Good luck for next year.

Nice bit of harkytexture Martin :)

I do like a brutal landscape, and this works well. Good handling of verticals.

But, why not convert to B&W? Pump up the contrast, drop the brightness and it really starts to sing!

Your dilemma of thinking less about the gear, and more about the practice is one I fully understand, and constantly struggle with. Good luck for next year.

I tried that but I don't think it works, I feel it just becomes a mush of featureless, asymmetric blocks; thank you for the suggestion though.

That's a great architectural landscape. Love the composition of lines, angles and texture.

Back