South-East England shipwreck locations

I had a look around the Web. Finding the location of wrecks to dive is easy but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that lists beached wrecks.

The only thing I can think that might have some info is this site - http://www.geograph.org.uk/ . It is trying to get photographs for every OS grid square

You could start on the map of your local area and check along all the beach squares. I'm guessing most beached wrecks will have been photographed and might appear on the site. It will take a good bit of time to check a long stretch of the coast but I can't think of anything else.

Dave

If it isn't in the news it will be visible on Google Earth, it's a case of working your way round the coast online.

Beached wrecks tend not to survive long. You might also try harbours for abandoned vessels, lots more of these than wrecks.

When you say ship wrecks what do you mean, there are many round here but they're all just the frame of the bottom of the boat...

The Tipner Lake one is just to the west of the M275 down into Portsmouth. There is also the remains of a section of Mulberry Harbour just inside the entrance to Langstone Harbour but not reachable on foot. Other than that I don't remember seeing any others during my various sailing trips along the south coast.

When you say ship wrecks what do you mean, there are many round here but they're all just the frame of the bottom of the boat...

That's not a shipwreck then, you can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat. That's how you define a ship, unless it's a submarine which is defined as a boat.

There is the Admiral Von Trump in Saltwick Bay, North Whitby and there is also the remains of two boilers and a rudder post in Reighton North Yorkshire.

There is the Admiral Von Trump in Saltwick Bay, North Whitby and there is also the remains of two boilers and a rudder post in Reighton North Yorkshire.
Which bit of the south-east coast is Yorkshire?
;)

The Tipner one is easy to get to, but check for red flags on the Tipner Ranges.

Theres the Helvetia at Rhossilli in the Gower Wales. Not a lot left now though.

Helvetia%2BRhossilli%2B3.jpg

There's no ships only boats but Dungeness is pretty good although none of them that I can remember actually sit in the sea it's still a great place to visit.

Back