Shock! Horror! Camera NOT banned at school sports day

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
It was James' final sports day at his school today and obviously I went armed with the camera to capture the day, fully expecting the all too common 'no cameras' enforcement. To my surprise and pleasure there was no problem taking shots and whilst I wouldn't normally post shots like this - let's be honest, who wants to see someone else's kids at a sports day - I'm putting them up to show that it is perfectly safe to post innocent images of children on the Internet and that a paedophile isn't lurking round every corner.

1. Waiting for the off
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-18.jpg

2. Relay race
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-30.jpg

3. Throwing the bean bag thingie :shrug:
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-70.jpg

4. Sprint
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-115.jpg

5. Coming 2nd
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-120.jpg

6. The obligatory Mum's race
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-143.jpg

7. Come the Dad's race you could almost smell the testosterone from the other end of the field.
2008-07-18_Sports_Day-151.jpg

What's equally amazing is that they ran a sports day, in the tradition sense, at all!! :eek: Most primaries these days seem to do 'activity' days with no winners or losers, in case the one of the precious darlings gets upset and is scarred for life :bonk:

Well done to the school all round and well done colin for some nice memento shots for James when he is older (y)

Nice shots, all of them.. I particularly like the first one, but I am a sucker for a good DOF shot.

I like no.4, your boy looks so casual while the lad behind is busting a gut and still losing!

Great shots.

My sons primary school do the normal sports day and cameras are welcome at any function that your children are involved in.

What's equally amazing is that they ran a sports day, in the tradition sense, at all!! :eek: Most primaries these days seem to do 'activity' days with no winners or losers, in case the one of the precious darlings gets upset and is scarred for life :bonk:

Well done to the school all round and well done colin for some nice memento shots for James when he is older (y)

I had exactly the same thoughts. Competition seems to be out of fashion nowadays when it comes to school sports days and we wonder why we don't produce any world class sports folk anymore.

Lovely shots you can look back on and be proud of.

By the way which one was you in the dads race :LOL:

You were taking the shot you could have let someone else take it :LOL:

crikey
well done school
well done James
well done you

good to see some sanity in a world of political correctness (y)

Nice shots and some refreshing common sense. Let's hope it's a trend.;)

Nice shots! :)

:clap: Excellent shots Colin and a refreshing change to see sports day done the right way ;)

I'm actually not a huge "people/candid shots" fan but your collection got a big thumbs up from me. The expression on the lad's face, along with the parent's race summed it up for me. And the whole thing looks so relaxed and cheerful.
I was going to then quickly move onto the next photo thread, but where I had a chuckle at your comment regarding the dad's race, that made me go ahead and drop my post in here. :LOL::)

I had exactly the same thoughts. Competition seems to be out of fashion nowadays when it comes to school sports days and we wonder why we don't produce any world class sports folk anymore.

Lovely shots you can look back on and be proud of.

By the way which one was you in the dads race :LOL:

You were taking the shot you could have let someone else take it :LOL:

This has spawned a discussion in OOF (Clickity Click)

My son has just finished primary school also and had his leaving party at school last night (I'm just processing the shots now) and I was actively encouraged by the head and many parents to bring the camera in to take shots of the party. No-one complained and I've got a list of e-mail addresses as long as your arm to forward pics to.
Same thing at sports day as well, so not everyone's acting up. :clap:

Andy

I had my Sports Day yesterday, I was in the Year 9's Boys 800m race. :D:D

Nice shots and some refreshing common sense. Let's hope it's a trend.;)

:agree:

Maybe after the Robert Murat case this week, people will be a little more careful who they call a paedophile. The next time someone say it to me I shall be reminding them the possible cost of false accusations.

What's equally amazing is that they ran a sports day, in the tradition sense, at all!! :eek: Most primaries these days seem to do 'activity' days with no winners or losers, in case the one of the precious darlings gets upset and is scarred for life

I can remember few years back my nephews telling me at school they took part in non competitive football. I said football is a competitive sport and what is non competitive football? answer taking penalties!! but there is competition between the penalty taker and the goalkeeper answer we don't have a goal keeper!! Aaaaaaaah!! What the ...............!!

Paul

Great stuff as usual Colin, really good that you let others enjoy some success and not enter the Dads race. (y)

Well done on recording the moment!!

My Kids had theirs today. Key stage 1 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, which meant a whole day at the school. Everyone had cameras and there were no problems (just a lot of comments about the D3 and 70-200 and 1.7TC size, all in jest).

It was refreshing because it was a fairly competitive sports day and all the kids and parent enjoyed it - no restrictions at all....

Great pictures. #4 being my favourite. :D

I went to a sports day on Wednesday with my friend to watch her kids. Lots of activities which I doubt will produce any Olympians. :bonk::LOL:

I said to her that there was no way I was getting my camera out of my bag. :eek: Life's too short for any grief that could have occurred. :( I could have got some great pics, if only of kids in the sack races falling over. :LOL: Or the small kids who were just a pair of hands and head peeping over the sack because they were so small.:LOL:

Funniest thing was a woman in front of me videoing her child with a compact camera in the portrait position (I've done it, but you only make that mistake once ;)). :bonk: I pointed out her error and wasn't sure she had understood what the problem would be when it came to watching the video back on the TV. But she asked what to do next time, so she at least got one vid in the landscape format. I chuckle to imagine all the family watching the vid with their heads all tilted to one side. :LOL:

Shockin.. i was just about to post the same post... I won't bother now as the point has been made.
In fact.. ALL the parents had cameras, and some had camcorders..
happy days :)

hahaha they got the parents to race aswell, my little girls sports day was cancel due to bad weather.

Back