'Shoot' - Warning - dead birds - extra pic added

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Last set I posted the comment was 'more working dogs' so here we have more dogs than guns. Dull, heavy rain so not the best for the action shots but enough of the excuses..........

RV-NOV1-X3.jpg

RV-NOV2-X3.jpg

RV-NOV4-X3.jpg

RV-NOV5-X3.jpg

RV-NOV3-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The ability and intelligence of these dogs always impresses me (can't always say the same about their owners tho:D). Nice set too(y) No 1 could do with a wee bit more space on the right but over all decent stuff!!

Cheers guys, still working my way through the set for the gallery & books - considering the weather I am quite happy with the range of shots + got to bring home a brace of duck & a pheasant for the pot!! Result.

not normally my cup of tea but I absolutely love number 1....and I love your dog!:love:

Not my dog - it was a hired hand/paw!
I have a few jobs on the go at the moment but will post some more up from this shoot when I get through a glut of processing work.

Nice set - even if they make me miss my Springer.

The duck shots obviously have the added appeal of the water and you've caught the focus nicely on the pheasant shot.

Number 4 is my favourite as it really shows the working relationship between man and dog.

I appreciate you were probably 'behind' the gun but I'm not overly keen on the angle of the last shot but you've caught the ejection nicley.

Strange to say the title made me click :LOL:

I'm glad I did though, great shots (y)

I was going to comment saying you'd have no chance of my dog giving the bird back, but seeing as it wasn't your dog... ;) :LOL:

Great set, we have a shoot on our farm in Dec so hoping to get some pics. We have a gun shy Lab and Jack Russell so have to be shut in the house with tv up loud :bonk:

Cheers for the comments. Here's another, it was the end of the last drive on a very wet day and I think it shows in his face!

bw-dog-X3.jpg

Brilliant shots, I personally think that the water definitely adds to the action.

The water retrieves ARE some of the best shots and usually some of the darkest with the trees overhanging the river! Here's another one, albeit a bit splashy:

sdfgd-X3.jpg

Cheers guys. Did another yesterday in even duller conditions. Usually like to keep the shutter speed around 1/320th @ f/2.8 with as low an ISO as possible but had to drop to 1/200th and push the ISO to 5000 on a lot of shots! Not an easy day - posted a couple of dogs on another thread but not got round to editing the set yet, will post some action ones up in Jan.

Nice set, great subject one close to my own heart, just one thing though...

those dogs: they ain't springers! :)

3 is absolutely fantastic, what shutter speed did you use for these shots (sorry I'm new to photography and just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible)

3 is absolutely fantastic, what shutter speed did you use for these shots (sorry I'm new to photography and just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible)

I tend to shoot at f/2.8 with a minimum shutter speed of 1/320th and the ISO on auto so it adjusts to maintain the shutter speed. #3 was at 1100 ISO but I have managed to nail similar shots as low as 1/200th at 5000 ISO when the light is poor (more often than not).

#4 is brilliant. The depth of field is spot on. If the man was in focus that would have detracted from the image. Awesome capture.

Risky political and moral question here: does this thread, pertaining as it does to hunting, really belong in sport?!

And please know i'm querying with the utmost respect. Just curious to know what is defined as sport here.

dafphotographer said:
Risky political and moral question here: does this thread, pertaining as it does to hunting, really belong in sport?!

And please know i'm querying with the utmost respect. Just curious to know what is defined as sport here.

Shooting is a sport. It's classified as such in the Olympics (albeit stationery targets) so can't see why it would be any different when the targets are live and moving.

What section would you suggest it belongs in?

I know the OP has focused on the dogs rather than the human side, but it's the same activity, just from a different point of view.

Last edited:
Road walking isn't a sport up me but it is to many, it's a good job that people's likes vary.

This isn't the place to try and bait people into the pros and cons of hunting, if you want to argue take it to off topic.

Andy

I'm not suggesting it belongs anywhere. Just curious as to people's thoughts.

Personally I don't think any activity precipitating death is a sport, and certainly isn't comparable to Olympic events. But that's just me.

Olympic shooting- Goal: to hit a target
Hunting shooting- Goal: to hit a target

This thread isn't about the ethics of hunting. This thread is here as a platform for the OP to receive crit and comments relating to the images themselves, not the sport they are representing.

Back on topic.

Good set, the water adds another interest the shots.

Particularly like #2 and #3.

#3 really reminds me of our young black lab. Lovely dogs, good to see them out enjoying themselves in this environment.

Great set of images Ady, the b/w one is my favourite, as you say you can see in the dogs eye's its been a long day, but working dogs just love what they do.

Good work, I'm off to a shoot on Saturday morning to photograph a friend. Think it's one of the last ones of the year so I'm praying for good weather.

Love number 3.(y)

Back