Shooting a kingfisher( no literally)

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Ive seen a kingfisher on a disused pond at work and another has spotted it aswell, the pond has alot of branches over wter and things for it to perch on, how can u determined where it stops and with so many branches about would me putting another in the water trying to capture it work? Are they a bird that follows repetition?

If you spend a bit of time watching it you will notice it may use the same braches. It might also stick to the same flight path to and from the pond.
You can place a branch or perch so you can get a better shot and eventually it might start using it.
I had to wait 8 weeks for this one to use the perch I made.

kingfisher (3) by Paul S Wharton, on Flickr

Paul

cheers paul, il get something put up for tomorrow, hopefully nice sunrise in the morning and il go for a few hour scout and see if we cross pass on its flight around! thanks for the help and what a great shot

thanks, Sunday is supposed to be nice here. Hopefully I'll have a chance to spot one
Steve

You're lucky Steve. My Canon 7D arrived this evening and we've got rain forecast for the nest 5 days :bang:

Paul

this happened to me yesturday which u wudnt believe, i went too work early all dressed in camo and headed down to the shallow pond, stood against a tree i waited litterally 5 mins and then spotted the kingfisher fly from my left across to the other side of the pond, i watched were it landed and it decided to take off again and fly directly at me and land about 10ft away, with havin the camera ready i peared over the top of my camera and breathed into the view finder and steamed it up making it completely useless so when it landed near me i went to focus and shoot and couldnt see a damn thing!! it then flew away with a big splash into the water and away!!! cudnt be any worse luck

Ive seen a kingfisher on a disused pond at work and another has spotted it aswell, the pond has alot of branches over wter and things for it to perch on, how can u determined where it stops and with so many branches about would me putting another in the water trying to capture it work? Are they a bird that follows repetition?

You've done the hard bit - finding one!

Pole, clamp, lump of mossy wood and a bucket of minnows. Never before has one man built himself a reputation with these items as Charlie Hamilton James has done (y)

i spotted it again today, taking the same flight path as last time between trees to a much bigger lake were seeing it would take me ages throught a 300mm lens!! i need 600mm lol

Back