Shooting in Raw

Edit My Images
Yes
I attended a 2 day studio / photoshop course a few months ago.
We had a discussion regarding the advantages of RAW over JPG shooting and it was agreed that RAW gave you much better quality and corrective possibilites over the image later on in the processing process.

Since trying this at home I have found the raw shots to be a bit dull compared to my jpgs. I am unsure whether this is to do with bad exposure or lighting set-up or because they are raw?

My main question is if you shoot in raw and have perfect exposure and lighting set-up would the image still look dull, would you always have to do some processing to liven up the picture?

When viewing a RAW file, you have to use software that has the correct colour profile set up, otherwise it does not know what colours the camera has recorded. By using your camera software, you should get a more accurate representation. I had this problem when I started using RAW, because windows photo gallery was showing them all too bright, but CaptureNX doesn't.

To quote someone more qualified than myself...

Shoot jpeg and the camera does the pp, shoot RAW and you do the pp.

Jpeg files are already edited in camera, usually a little contrast, saturation and sharpening etc.

RAW files arent edited at all in camera but depending on what software you use, you can set the defaults to apply a little of the above. In other words, RAW lets you do the editing yourself, JPEG does it for you :) Hope that makes sense

Back