Shooting in the rain

Edit My Images
Yes
What precautions should one take while attempting to shoot in the rain? Hide under a brollie? I guess the camera is pretty susceptible to the wet weather?

What precautions should one take while attempting to shoot in the rain? Hide under a brollie? I guess the camera is pretty susceptible to the wet weather?

Depends what camera you use, pro lenses are water resistant as are pro bodies.

For entry level cameras, there is no water protection whatsoever, whereas mid range do have some.

The usual solution is Optech rain covers (about a fiver for two), or Wildlife Watching Supply camera and lens covers which are water resistant to an extent. They have a cord pull near the cameras LCD screen which may let some water in..

Depends on the camera and the heaviness of the rain. I have a Sony A700 and it is perfectly fine in a medium shower although I try not to keep it exposed for too long (Maybe a couple of minutes at a time). I also had two people fire champagne in my direction at a polo tournament and the camera and lens were unharmed.

my 400D has been drenched a few times and been fine. Normally a rain cover or a plastic ba and some tape works a treat!

I have a D60 which I guess is pretty entry level

My 40D got a light covering last weekend & never missed a beat. Just made sure I wiped it/the lens off properly before I put them back in the bag.

Make a rain cover yourself - thick polybag and a rubber band. Cut the corner off to just the diameter of the lens, plus a little to stop you from tearing the bag.

Rubber bag round the lens/bag to hold it in place.

At the other end, cut a "flap" so you can get your eye to the finder and hands inside. Job done.

I keep a flannel in my 40D bag. It's not the most practical solution but I managed to stay out in very heavy rain for 5 mins or so. And it doesn't need fitting - just sling it over the top :)

I recently bought a StormJacket cover for my camera. For what it is, stupidly expensive (around £35), bearing in mind that it's just a tube of material with draw strings at either end. Having said that, it worked a treat, keeping the camera totally dry. The material breathes to help prevent condensation, comes in a handy little bag that can be clipped to the camera and is very easy to use.

Make a rain cover yourself - thick polybag and a rubber band. Cut the corner off to just the diameter of the lens, plus a little to stop you from tearing the bag.

Rubber bag round the lens/bag to hold it in place.

At the other end, cut a "flap" so you can get your eye to the finder and hands inside. Job done.

Does that work OK if the front element of the lens rotates? Do you not risk overloading the AF motor?

we spend all that money on equipment then either "hope" all is OK in the rain or use a plastic bag and elastic band.... sigh :(

I use this and lens/camera never gets wet..I dont believe in water resistant cameras or lenses. and mine is pro gear... why take the chance?

HERE -> http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

I recently bought a StormJacket cover for my camera. For what it is, stupidly expensive (around £35), bearing in mind that it's just a tube of material with draw strings at either end. Having said that, it worked a treat, keeping the camera totally dry. The material breathes to help prevent condensation, comes in a handy little bag that can be clipped to the camera and is very easy to use.

If it is very effective at keeping damp and water from the camera, at £35 it's a bargain compared to being sent to Canon for repair

we spend all that money on equipment then either "hope" all is OK in the rain or use a plastic bag and elastic band.... sigh :(

I use this and lens/camera never gets wet..I dont believe in water resistant cameras or lenses. and mine is pro gear... why take the chance?

same here -1dmk2 + 70-200mm f2.8 is - should be water proof - in a very heavy shower would i risk it? - no - light shower yes - i use the optech cover metioned above works well and is cheap - you can use it on the flash as well.

tesco carrier bags - are you kidding?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I been out in the rain all morning, D200 and D3 got wet. I just kept wiping.

Gary.

For lightish rain I simply use a chamois leather draped over lens and body. Heavy rain I use the roof of either a building or car and get out of the rain!

Back