Shooting Penalties

Edit My Images
Yes
What do you look for when there is a penalty? Do you move position? focus on the kicker, goalkeeper or await the celebration?

What do you look for when there is a penalty? Do you move position? focus on the kicker, goalkeeper or await the celebration?

Depends what you want and what team is taking the penalty.. ie the team your following or? all depends on the day whats happening..

plus you left one out.. the crowd.. i saw a fantastic crowd shot taken the moment the goal goes in.. from a penalty you can setup a good crowd shot and get thousand jumping in air at same time :)

Depends what you want and what team is taking the penalty.. ie the team your following or? all depends on the day whats happening..

plus you left one out.. the crowd.. i saw a fantastic crowd shot taken the moment the goal goes in.. from a penalty you can setup a good crowd shot and get thousand jumping in air at same time :)

+1 for the crowd shot, can get some great imagery of crowd reaction.

I am thinking in a non league context - don't tend to have enough bodies to make a crowd, but I could see the value in focussing on the little clusters of supporters following the game - might try that next time

Penalties vary depending on who's there and space.

So if there are no remote cameras behind the goal sometimes I shoot through the net with 16-35. If there are remotes then I wont as plenty of coverage plust the get in the way.In this case I'll focus on the kicker.

If its at my end I either concentrate on the keeper or get behing the net with a standard zoom,if ts at the other end I tend to crop along the edge of the rea and hope for multiple player reaction if its scored or missed

If it's at my end I will focus on the kicker, do my best to get him taking it and then keep tracking him for his reactions. At the far end, it's never easy, I just focus on the taker and hope that none of the defenders around the box block my view (which happens a lot). If you do get a clear view though you can get a pretty good shot of the kick though, actually showing a wider context than being behind the goal (but obviously you miss all the cele/reaction stuff afterwards).

If its at my end I either concentrate on the keeper or get behing the net with a standard zoom,if ts at the other end I tend to crop along the edge of the rea and hope for multiple player reaction if its scored or missed

Concentrating on the keeper is one option if shooting for that side and the keepers makes a save. If shooting newspapers then you should concentrate on the kicker. Odds on he will score but if he misses he may still get used for the miss and maybe you may get a dramatic shot of him holding his head or collapsing on his knees?

I am thinking in a non league context - don't tend to have enough bodies to make a crowd, but I could see the value in focussing on the little clusters of supporters following the game - might try that next time

In my experiences of non-league football you can pretty much move about as and when you want (unless you take Brighton to an FA Cup replay and the pros turn up).

I've seen some great shots taken from behind the goal with the keeper diving.

So far this season though, we've only scored penalties when I've been level with the 18 yard box, and I personally don't think they look as good from that angle.

We got a penalty Saturday and despite instructions to the contraray the scorer calmly walked back to the centre circle with his back to me

Glad I'm not the only one who suffers! I count myself luck to have a handful of goal celebrations, the rest are a wast of time!

I had better luck getting cele pictures from an afternoon with the junior league than I did with the adult match in the morning, despite a game winning penalty in the dying minutes. They went into a group hug with their backs to me!! :LOL:

Back