Beginner Shooting stars

Name
Desmond
Edit My Images
No
Ok I think I might be in a good position to see this but what camera settings would be needed. Too long and you would get star trails

there two ways:

1. Piggyback your camera on the telescope that is mounted on a special "follow the earth" mount. See http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/MOUNTS.HTM
2. Do multiple exposures, align then in post processing and then use special stacking software to expose very faint stars. See http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/SOFTWARE.HTM

Ideally you combine both. That way you can get images of galaxies, nebuale, etc

If you are just after a "landscape with stars", you can try using:
0. Good tripod and cable release
1. As wide lens as you possibly can. This increases motion blur tolerance
2. As high ISO as is practical on your camera.
3. Choose optimal shutter speed by trial and error. Remember that motion blur visible at 100% magnification will not necessarily be visible on prints and/or resized image
4. Try multi shot noise reduction feature in your camera.
5. Choose location with least light pollution possible

Last edited:
Forget multiple exposures and stacking for meteors. They don't work like that. They're visible for fractions of a second, not hours.
A fast and wide lens with high(ish) iso will help with the star trails (the lower the magnification the longer you have before the stars visibly trail). If you have a tracking mount you won't have a problem with trailing, but I'm guessing you don't. A tripod goes without saying, as does the darkest sky as far from light pollutions as you can find. And no cloud! You need to keep the shutter open as the meteors may be anywhere in the sky and at any time. Point wherever you like, keep the shutter open as long as you can until either star trails, sky glow or both become a problem and hope you catch a meteor (or if you're really lucky more than one). You can do in camera NR (mine only does it at ss of longer than 30s, but it's debatable if it's a good idea as it effectively doubles your exposure time and means you have to wait for it to finish before trying another exposure. Have as many charged batteries as you can and keep trying. Good luck.

Back