Shopping list

Edit My Images
No
Hi I am looking towards swapping to a DLSR, and i am planning a 350D

not wanting to buy a lens only to replace it, i want to buy a good one straight away and then add to it.

im currently using a Ixus 500. 3 x zoom and finding its hampering me, and also want to learn the technical side of photography, rather than point and hope :whistling

having seen and played with a friends 28-300 L IS USM , its a lovely lens, but just too darn heavy to enjoy using, i cant see me lugging it around.

however IS is the daddy, and something i can see the benifit of and would like

so hows this sound.

350D body
with the 17- 85 IS usm lens to start (equiv to a x5 zoom so a good step up from ixus) and better than the bundled 18-55 lens

then later, once i realise limits and want to stretch further, purchasing the 70-300 IS USM DO lens. (smaller and lighter) to acompany the 17-85 IS USM

my photography tends to be opportunist pot shots, rather than planned and i dont particularly want to have to lug around holdalls full of kit / tripods etc, id like to remain light, and enjoyable.

If it gets heavy, and bulky i just wont use it.

your thoughts appreciated :thumb:

Your initial choice of lens is a good one providing the actual copy of the 17-85 IS is a good one, by that I mean some have been reported to not be as good as others. If you are planning on buying it from a decent retailer with a good reputation, then if it turns out that you do get a below parr version, exchanging it should not be an issue.

The 70-300 IS DO is another strange lens in that it falls almost within "L" series glass prices but is not the same quailty(it is very good though). On saying that what it does do and fit into a specific area that you have identified as being your requirements. I would go with your initial choice for now and len the 350D inside out, its strengths and weaknesses, how it works with the 17-85 and you will also learn and reliase what your next lens purchase should be from that. If you are finding you need a longer range then zooms will be on your list, however you may find that you prefer to shoot macro or architecture which will require a different lens choice.

If you are looking at mid range zooms then you should also consider the Canon 70-200L F4 which is smaller than both the lenses you have listed above and much cheaper. The quality is also up to the usual level that you expect from "L" glass. The F4 version doesn't have IS though ;)

Take it one step at a time, jumping to dslr is a big step and doing so with mixing in several other things at the same time is alot for anyone to get to grips with all at once. Take it from someone who knows :)

I bought the 17-85 EF-S as my first lens along with the 20D body. It's an excellent lens with a really handy useable range. As Steve says you can get a duff one, but that can happen with any lens. The thing to be aware of with the EF-S series lenses is that they don't fit all Canon cameras, for example the flagship models IDS etc, and it's slightly worrying that we don't really know how long Canon intend to support this lens mount in future cameras. Given that they've brought out a few of these lenses in rapid succession, it will probably be supported in the future, but most users are wary of committing to too many of these lenses, although I'd imagine they're always going to very saleable to the hordes of 300D, 350D and 20D users who will be around. I have to say the IS is a huge asset for low light photography.

The other thing is the 17-85 EF-S isn't cheap, in fact it's pretty much the same price as the 17-40L which is a known superlative lens. It doesn't have the zoom range of the 17-85 EF-S, but you might well learn more about framing in the early stages with the discipline of using that lens.

This is an expensive game, particularly when you're just starting to invest, and I'd guard against going for too much sheer convenience, as you will undoubtedly add other lenses over time, and you need to be thinking long term about what your lens requirements are likely to be from the outset.;)

still looking still researching.

as an alternative, what do you think to these?

they are both IS, and considerably cheaper than first spec, whilst almost covering same range.

i could potentially get both at same time rather than wait.
leaving the difference in cash, to buy cards and batteries, filters etc as i go.

EF28-135mm IS USM
EF75-300mm IS USM

benifit also being they could also be shared with dads EOS 1000F film camera being non EF-S fit

i would really love to say that they are good choices, but ive not used them

Back